4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Procharger or Vortech setup???

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 06:41 PM
nitestalker
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Procharger or Vortech setup???

PROCHARGER ALLL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-17-2007, 07:07 PM
DS002
3rd Gear Member

You dont have to tap the oil pan for the procharger? How does it stay lubricated?
Old 11-17-2007, 08:49 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

It is self contained. The oil is in the supercharger and you have to change it just like you do your engine oil. It is a much better supercharger then the vortech i think. It runs cooler, comes with an intercooler, easy to upgrade and draws less power from the engine to run.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:17 AM
hot wheels
4th Gear Member

better s/c, "you think"? what r u talking about drawing less power from the engine? all these things do is make power for the engine. they r both great s/c.
ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

It is self contained. The oil is in the supercharger and you have to change it just like you do your engine oil. It is a much better supercharger then the vortech i think. It runs cooler, comes with an intercooler, easy to upgrade and draws less power from the engine to run.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:33 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

what r u talking about drawing less power from the engine? all these things do is make power for the engine.
superchargers draw power from the engine to turn their impellers/screws, o their will be some parasitic loss from the engine initially. its just like you a/c, powersteering. it takes power to make power with these.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:49 AM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

i would go with the self contained unit as well, its not so much the tapping the oil pan but i dont see why you would put more stress on your oiling system if you dont have too.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:23 PM
flyin_hawaiin
1st Gear Member

actually, the procharger requires quite a bit more power to turn then a vortech.. the stepup ratio in the pc is like jumping on a 10speed and putting it in 10th gear from the start... tell me how much harder it is to pedal that bike then if it were in 5th gear (like the vortech)...

also, running self contained makes the blower run HOTTER... its a proven fact.. no way to dissipate the heat.... plus, the seals in a PC have a tendency to leak and run the blower dry.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:58 PM
Fobra
Banned

vortech makes better units....
Old 11-18-2007, 03:49 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: flyin_hawaiin

actually, the procharger requires quite a bit more power to turn then a vortech.. the stepup ratio in the pc is like jumping on a 10speed and putting it in 10th gear from the start... tell me how much harder it is to pedal that bike then if it were in 5th gear (like the vortech)...

also, running self contained makes the blower run HOTTER... its a proven fact.. no way to dissipate the heat.... plus, the seals in a PC have a tendency to leak and run the blower dry.

Thats not true. The engine oil which is already extremely hot carries the heat and transfers it to the supercharger. Plus with using the engine oil which isnt as high quality as the procharger oil there is more drag and more friction which creates more heat. The stepup ratio of 4.10:1 isn't making it harder to turn it turns just as easy as a vortech but creates more power by making more boost faster which actually gives you much better low end power then a vortech.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:06 PM
flyin_hawaiin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

ORIGINAL: flyin_hawaiin

Thats not true. The engine oil which is already extremely hot carries the heat and transfers it to the supercharger. Plus with using the engine oil which isnt as high quality as the procharger oil there is more drag and more friction which creates more heat. The stepup ratio of 4.10:1 isn't making it harder to turn it turns just as easy as a vortech but creates more power by making more boost faster which actually gives you much better low end power then a vortech.
i wont argue.. you win... i dont even need to see your factual information.

Quick Reply: Procharger or Vortech setup???