4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Procharger or Vortech setup???

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 01:49 AM
ottos
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Procharger or Vortech setup???

I've always wondered about the P1SC's impeller design, its like the worst design with straight fins. Was that the first impeller they ever designed? haha. I think vacuum cleaners have more efficient impellers.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:11 AM
Fobra
Banned

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

It is self contained. The oil is in the supercharger and you have to change it just like you do your engine oil. It is a much better supercharger then the vortech i think. It runs cooler, comes with an intercooler, easy to upgrade and draws less power from the engine to run.
Thats not true. The engine oil which is already extremely hot carries the heat and transfers it to the supercharger. Plus with using the engine oil which isnt as high quality as the procharger oil there is more drag and more friction which creates more heat. The stepup ratio of 4.10:1 isn't making it harder to turn it turns just as easy as a vortech but creates more power by making more boost faster which actually gives you much better low end power then a vortech.
I have to disagree with basically everything your saying. The procharger oil is notsignificantly better than standard syntheticand does not reduce friction enough to make a difference. If you think the oil from the engine (which comes thru the pump where it was pulled from the cool side (bottom) of the pan is hotter than the blower you need to grab ahold of a blower, even a self contained unit, after a run... you won't hold on long unless you like burns.

The PS1C also has less potential than the V2SQ max WHP and boost wise. The sites on both of them say they can reach massive boost levels, but its not true espcially on a 2v 4.6L, and the SQ will make more power with the same combo + smallest pully (most boost) you can get for it.

I have seen absolutly no evidence whatsoever that a procharger will make more boost down low than a vortech or novi 2000. Because of different induction and impeller design you cannot compare the stepup ratios and say that one will definatly make more than another at low RPM, just doesn't work that way.

Procharger and vortech both make good units. Personally I prefer to have oil cylcling thru the blower constantly instead of sitting in it heating up. If I was going to do nothing but a boltons/blower (or even witha cam) car I would go with a procharger. Since I have plans to rebuild with a forged assembly, went with the SQ, and am doing a DIY FMIC instead of the smaller procharger one.

MPH tune FTW btw. There is NO reason to get the MPH kit and then get it "tuned" at a local shop. All you need to do is dump in the MPH tune, drive to the dyno, and get a dyno w/ a/f ratio. If its not perfect, MPH will make it so by sending you a retune thru email, OR helping you adjust it with the xcal 2. FYI, my MPH mongoose tune was dead on, and this is with a car with full boltons/n/a cams... not exactly easy to tune without ever seeing the car.

edit: There is a reason that all procharger kits come with a FMIC, and its not because they really like you and think your cool and should have one... its because the PS1C does produce higher air temps thana V2 or novi 2000.
yeah but you have to pay to get ona dyno, and pay again to come back and check the new tuen they just sent you. It depends if they get it right the first time, then its worth it, but if not then its not
Old 03-10-2008, 10:11 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Its around 100 bucks (around here) to get on the dyno and do all the runs you want for an hour. If you call MPH ahead of time and tell them when you are going to be there they can be available to help ya out. If your shop doesn't have an internet connection and PC... find a new shop.