4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Suspension ???'s and advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 02:56 AM
Novanutcase
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Suspension ???'s and advice

ORIGINAL: rpa7904

Nova - those pics look great.

I'm definitely looking more towards drag racing but I want something that can cut a pretty good corner as well. I know I will have to sacrifice some ride quality which is fine, but I want to keep it reasonable. I'll definitely be speaking with MM about the specifics. Seems people have good things to say about them.

I'd love to put in more but I can't spend quite that much in one shot.

Aereon what is a phb perch, I'm not familiar with this. Also are you set up for drag or auto x?

Thank you all for the guidance thus far

You can't really have both! It has to be one or the other! A lot of guys try and do both and what ends up happening is it doesn't do either very well! Try and really assess where you will be driving the car the most. If you're just going to be going to the strip a few times a year and mostly DDing it then I would prep the car more towards the street. My car is being prepped for more open tracking than street so that's why I went with the stiffer suspension! My girlfriend hates driving in the car!(She's pretty stacked! LOL!)

John
Old 12-30-2007, 03:22 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Novanutcase

ORIGINAL: Aereon

I am setup for road racing(autox and soloII events), and unfortunately I'm not rich like novanut to purchase the whole grip box all at once=P I've bought the smaller grip kits mm has to offer and when I can save up I'll purchase the mm max grip box with the parts I have deleted from it.
Ah but Grasshopper, remember, it is not the sum of parts that makes the car corner well, rather, it is the driver that understands how to manipulate the parts he has! LOL!

John
Heh I'm pretty sure with a set of 6 pot wilwoods I'd be able to lower my track times by a few secs=P, but it is true, tightening the nut behind the wheel nets the best gains.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:39 AM
Novanutcase
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aereon

Heh I'm pretty sure with a set of 6 pot wilwoods I'd be able to lower my track times by a few secs=P, but it is true, tightening the nut behind the wheel nets the best gains.
As pretty as the Wilwoods may look I think that in your application it would be best to run the Cobra R conversion if you're Auto-Xing and doing soloII events! You aren't on the track long enough to take advantage of the heat dissipation the heavier brakes afford you. It would actually be a hinderance for you since you would have more unsprung mass on the wheel.

John
Old 12-30-2007, 03:48 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

its not like I'm not going to road race eventually, its just I'm using autox and soloII events to learn=P
Old 12-30-2007, 09:32 PM
Novanutcase
3rd Gear Member

OH! Sorry!!![]

John
Old 12-30-2007, 10:52 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Novanutcase

OH! Sorry!!![]

John
heh gotta tighten up the nut behind the wheel a bit more before I can even come close to hanging with the big boys.. lols something about being lapped repeatedly on an road course by a miata doesnt sound too fun
Old 01-01-2008, 03:35 AM
Novanutcase
3rd Gear Member

Hahaha! I remember those days! Your right! It sucks but keep at it! You'll find the line!

John
Old 01-01-2008, 03:54 AM
Rader99GT
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: rpa7904

I have an 03 Stang GT and am looking for some suspension upgrades, specifically a coil over suspension system. I'm looking at the Maximum Motorsports Complete Coil-Over Package at ~$1600.00.

Coil-Over Package, 1994-04 Mustang

Our Coil-Over Packages include the following parts:

[ul][*]MM Front Coil-Over Kit[*]MM Rear Coil-Over Kit[*]Pair 2-1/2" Hypercoil Springs[*]Pair 2-1/4" Hypercoil Springs[*]Bilstein HD Front Struts[*]Bilstein HD Rear Shocks[*]MM Caster/Camber Plates[/ul]

I'm working towards a quality streep/strip car that is for now a DD...but will not stay that way. So my questions are as follows.

- Are coil overs worth it?
- Is this a good reputable kit, personal experiences with it or others?
- What spring rates should I be looking at?
- What else is out there?
- Other advice, constructive criticism and options?

Thank you all in advance for your replies and time.

Rick
Coilovers...Thats exactly what I want, freakin' expensive tho' [:@]