4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

step by step instruction on how to tint your tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 07:04 PM
y2kStangGT
3rd Gear Member

Default step by step instruction on how to tint your tail lights

I found this from a z350 forum, but that shouldn't matter because the process is the same for all cars.
I will try and follow this process when I get my nite shades in the mail.

Contents[hide][/align][ul]1 Tools Required
2 Removing the Lights
3 Preparing the Surface
4 Spraying the Lights
5 Wet Sand and Buff
6 Finished
7 Video Tutorial [/ul]
if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = "show"; var tocHideText = "hide"; showTocToggle(); }

[edit] Tools Required
[ul][*]10mm Socket[*]Flathead Screwdriver or Pick Tool[*]800, 1500, 2000 Grit Sandpaper[*]Masking Tape[*]Razor Blade[*]VHT Night Shades Spray[*]Spraycan Handle (optional)[*]Orbital Buffer[*]Meguiars Medium, Fine Cut, and Glass Polish[*]Soap and Water Lubricant in a Spray Bottle [/ul]

[edit] Removing the Lights
Fist we are going to remove the rear taillights. Opening the rear hatch you will see 3 screw covers on each of the lights. Using a small flathead screwdriver pop these covers off to reveal the 10mm bolts under each one. Using a 10mm socket remove all 6 bolts.

[/align]
[/align][/align]

[/align]
[/align][/align]

[/align]
[/align][/align][/align]
Getting a grip in the middle of the light, pull outwards and back (approximately 45 degree angle) There are 2 snap fasteners behind the lights that will pop loose. You can now disconnect the two lamp connectors. A small screw driver will help you depress the locking clips on the connectors.

[/align]
[/align][/align]

[/align]
[/align][/align][/align]

[edit] Preparing the Surface
We will now prepare the surface for painting. Using masking tape, cover the black plastic area where the 3 bolt holes are. We do not want to get paint on this area. Use a razor blade to cut down the seam and removed the tape from the surface to be painted. After you have masked off the area, set some 800 grit (wet) sand paper and start sanding the glossy surface of the lamp. Use some water to make this step easier and to wash away the sanding dust. You must do this to ensure the paint sticks. Otherwise the paint will flake off eventually. Make sure you get all of the "shine" off of the plastic.

[/align]
[/align][/align]

[/align]
[/align][/align][/align]
Let the cats inspect the surface to give their approval. Once again, make sure the shine is completely removed from the light surface. In the picture below, the left lamp has been sanded while the one on the right has not.

[/align]
[/align][/align]

[/align]
[/align][/align][/align]

[edit] Spraying the Lights
Here is the VHT Nite Shades. I only needed 1 can for the taillights. But if this is your first time, I recommend buying at least 2 cans. (Leaving room for error). Also you will need more cans if you plan to do the reflectors, lower bumper lamps, or headlights. I picked up this spray handle from Home Depot. It clips to the top of most any spray paint cans and turns the into a spray gun. I feel like I have much mre control over the paint with this. It was only about 3$.

[/align]
[/align][/align]

[/align]
[/align][/align][/align]
The best part about using the spray tint is your control over the darkness. You can go anywhere between lightly smoked, to pitch black. You control this with how thick you spray the tint on (number of coats). To spray the tint get in a well ventilated area preferable one with few contaminants in the air. Spray the tint on using even strokes being sure to cover the entire light. DO NOT let the paint drip or you may have poor results or need to start all over with the sanding process. It is better to spray the tint on too thin and need to go over it multiple times than to spray it on thick and have runs in the finish. Go ahead and LIGHTLY sand the lights using 800-1000 grit paper to get the tint smoothed out. Now spray on the clear coat. You can spray this on a bit thicker than the tint. I spray 2 thick coats and kept runs to a minimum. Runs here can be fixed, but try not to let them happen. Here are the lamps after the spray tint and clear coat is dried. You can reinstall the lamps in the reverse order they were removed.

[/align]
[/align][/align]

[/align]
[/align][/align][/align]

[edit] Wet Sand and Buff
This step can be perform
Old 01-28-2008, 07:20 PM
01snake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: step by step instruction on how to tint your tail lights

nice find
Old 01-28-2008, 07:36 PM