4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

New paint coming soon! WEEE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 05:11 PM
SHO NO MERCY
4th Gear Member

Default New paint coming soon! WEEE!

Story worth reading just in case you run into the same problem I did.

I bought my 01 GT after I totaled my 99 Lazer Red GT on ice . I got my check from the insurance co. and bought my car in Huntington Beach, CA. 45 minutes after I started my drive back to Oklahoma a mother EFFING wind/rock/dust storm swept from the desert across the highway rendering everyone helpless. Rocks, trash, cactus, whatever the hell wasn't bolted down hit blasted my car. EVERYTHING susceptible to the storm was sandblasted with thousands of tiny particle scratches. Windshield, headlights, front bumper, front fenders, roof, door handles. I instantly wished California would break off into the ocean and float away. Not to mention the only other time I visited Cali was to go to the 1989 World Series (Athletics vs. Giants) and the giant Bay Area quake collapsed the Bay Bridge. There is my reasoning.

I figured if I call my insurance company and file a claim I'll pay the deductible of $500 and then my insurance will go through the roof since I had just previously had a wreck. I figured I'll slowly repair it myself. I let my mom borrow my car, she comes back and says "Your windshield is so scratched I can barely see through it. Why don't you file a claim." So I do. Low and behold I'm told that it is covered and is treated as if it was hail damage. I take it to a body shop (a reliable one) and they quote me $3800 for a full new paint job and tell me that they will remove all of the small dents that were there when I bought it for free! He said for another $800 he'll paint it another color!

In conclusion, I pay $500 for the deductible and They are going to completely repaint my car, install a new windshield, and repair any blemishes. I think I'm going to stick w/ black and buy a 4" cowl before I bring her in for paint . Some of the best news I've received in a while. State Farm FTW!
Old 06-07-2008, 05:47 PM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

Default RE: New paint coming soon! WEEE!

its good to hear that an insurance company didnt screw somebody again!!!!! so when is the due date???
Old 06-07-2008, 05:57 PM
SHO NO MERCY
4th Gear Member

Well, we've haid hail damage fest 2008 here in Oklahoma, he can't even get my car in until June 27th and he said it will take about a month to paint. I'll be gone for 2 weeks for annual training (ARMY stuff) at the beginning of July, so it won't feel like that long. This guy does great work and does it right, so he can take that long if he needs it IMO.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:59 PM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

+1000 if he doesnt cut cornerslet him take as long as he needs. id stop in every so often to check on the progress and take pictures also.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:25 PM
SHO NO MERCY
4th Gear Member

Yeah, not a bad idea. He reassured me he does the job well. He isn't accepting anymore business until the 2nd week of July. Lol that's always a good sign.