4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

500 rwhp but what clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 01:01 AM
blackonblacksls
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2000AZ5.0GT
can you guys get a Mccleod Twin Disk for the T-5 or the T-3650?

if so I really recomend that clutch, friggen awesome. Been holding ~600whp for over a year now

that like building a billet rodded, billet crank, custom piston shortblock for a car trying to make 400rwhp..

i have mcleods 1400dollar street twin clutch in my car, never in my life would i reccomend it to someone who could get away with a much smaller one..

engagement sucks, needs alot of extra throw, and the fact that i have to run the clutch pedal at stock or close to stock height really bothers me..

Not to mention install time is about doubled between the two disks, flywheel, friction disk, pressure plate, and about 20 shims inbetween them all.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:06 AM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by blackonblacksls
Driving has nothing to do with hooking on street tires on the street at a certain rwhp level...

Its not hard to put a car in gear and hit the gas, if you can do this in 3rd gear at 80mph and the car still breaks loose, the best driver in the world wont make a damn bit of difference..

also hooking up a full suspension 4k pound irs equiped mustang is a whole different ballgame compared to your average 400rwhp stockish suspension 245 275 **** tire car.

if you have enough power to spin the tires at 80, and you're just slamming the gas and slipping the clutch, you need to hand over your keys.

anybody with that much power needs to learn throttle control.

such as the OP, he's building a 500rwhp car. I hope he knows how to control the throttle well enough that he DOESN'T brake loose at 30-80mph, even if he's on Sumitomo's.

Will he go slower, yeah. Are you going to run near the same time on a track as you would if you could grab traction and be at WOT the entire way down? hell no, but youll be faster than just sitting there spinning.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:09 AM
blackonblacksls
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roush2002
^^^this is what I have heard. I was recently told that unless you are using DR's on a track your street tires will break loose anyhow no matter what clutch you are using so whats the point in spending loads of money on a clutch if you are not going to run on a track.
this is a good point, a blower head cam intake car i put together a while back had a king cobra clutch on it..

put it on the dyno and it slipped before 4krpm, it was a load mustang dyno..

on the street never once did he have an issue on it...

brought the car back for a spec 3+ and it looked perfectly normal except for one big hotspot..

if it was on a dyno jet, or he never put it on a dyno he would have never had a problem and its probly in the upper 400range..

hell i never once had my last clutch slip till i broke my 3rd gear syncro and the load from going 2nd to 4th it would always chirp like crazy, and wouldnt hold the power on nitrous.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:10 AM
blackonblacksls
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang_NTriangle
Thanks everyone for your information. I think I am going to try the XTD stage III clutch as it is $100 cheaper than spec III as I still have my stock tranny. Once my stock tranny goes I will need another clutch at that time for a TKO setup.
I hate tkos, i think they are one of the worst things to do in our cars.. shift alot worse and handle less power than our stock t45s or 3650s..

build up the 3650 and that will handle more rwhp than 99percent of 2v cars will ever make.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:18 AM
blackonblacksls
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2000AZ5.0GT
if you have enough power to spin the tires at 80, and you're just slamming the gas and slipping the clutch, you need to hand over your keys.

anybody with that much power needs to learn throttle control.

such as the OP, he's building a 500rwhp car. I hope he knows how to control the throttle well enough that he DOESN'T brake loose at 30-80mph, even if he's on Sumitomo's.

Will he go slower, yeah. Are you going to run near the same time on a track as you would if you could grab traction and be at WOT the entire way down? hell no, but youll be faster than just sitting there spinning.
throttle control is good for dig runs, but it is stupid to even mention it in roll type race...

why even give it any gas at all? why even build it to make power just to go half throttle?

hell the whole point of building a 500rwhp is either to smoke the cars from a roll in 2nd or 3rd gear, or have it be so fast it scares people..

a boosted car aint going nowhere at part throttle..
Old 03-27-2009, 01:21 AM
blackonblacksls
3rd Gear Member

i could part thottle my car all day long and keep traction, but at 0 boost, with all the extra weight, extra restriction, and all that crap from the turbo i would probly loose to stock ls1s........

any sort of real throttle in 1st 2nd or 3rd gear and it will roast stock sized mustang tires while the speedo reads 120+mph..

this is with 3.27 gears, and a suspension that can plant 640lb ft of torque at a 40roll with a decent radial tire on it.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:32 AM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by blackonblacksls
throttle control is good for dig runs, but it is stupid to even mention it in roll type race...

why even give it any gas at all? why even build it to make power just to go half throttle?

hell the whole point of building a 500rwhp is either to smoke the cars from a roll in 2nd or 3rd gear, or have it be so fast it scares people..

a boosted car aint going nowhere at part throttle..
+1. She won't be going part thottle but and looking forward to the extra ponies.

What size clutch do we have with TR3650? Is it 11" or 10.5???