4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

02 Supercharged GT Convert - misses when wet!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 01:40 PM
smythro

Default 02 Supercharged GT Convert - misses when wet!

Hey Guys, I'm hoping someone can lead me in the right direction here. I'm have this pain in the *** problem with my 02 convert. It's the 4.6 with a procharger. I got it last year and have been having the problem ever since getting it. The dude I bought it from never mentioned the issue. Anyway, the car will start to miss at the 4K or better range of the RPM when the it's raining or had been raining. Even if I don't drive the car in the rain and I wait till the roads are dry before running it, it will still miss. It seems that it only runs right on sunny dry days. I've already replaces all the plugs and boots. I'm not sure what else to look at. I've opened the hood and everything seems dry. I do seem to be getting a little water leaking through the top somewhere. I'm not sure where it s coming from, but I can find some in the area that the top fold down into.

Any ideas would be great! thanks
Old 06-22-2009, 01:55 PM
Obsequious1
5th Gear Member

I had the same problem when it rained or if I was driving in the rain. Moisture was getting into the MAF.
Is it ever going to stop raining here??
Old 06-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

You are somehow getting water where it doesn't belong. Where's your actual air filter? I'm guessing it's down by the ground or in the fenderwell stark naked? At high RPM your intake is sucking in two to three times more air than at idle. If the filter is sitting naked in the fender or close to the ground, all the water mist/vapor caused from driving will get sucked into the intake.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:36 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

Your air filter is getting wet. I just made a thread about this in 4.6 tech called "vortech problem in rain" and am looking for help with this problem too.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:13 PM
youkairyu32
1st Gear Member

That is an interesting problem... My airfilter is located in the same place and I have never had problems. Try getting a K&N filter if you don't already have one. You could also check out an aftermarket MAF however you would need to have your ECM programmed after you change it. Besides that to fix the wet filter I would suggest fabrication. Try making a piece out of fiberglass or plastic that will help stop water from splashing up but still give the car cold air from under the bumper.

If you are worried about electrical, more spark never hurts. Try conductive gel they sell for plugs, that will help seal the electrical connections between your cables. If you have a distributor then you could try getting an upgraded one for additional spark. You could also try getting better plug cables. If the ignition system is computer controlled, try getting the 2V or 4V ignition coils.

Don't know if any of that will help but, its food for thought.