4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Hit 300hp on my 02 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 11:33 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

I think i would be either right on 300rwhp or over with stage 2 cams and a 93 performance tune. The numbers shown in my sig are with the back brakes dragging and no pilot bearing(dumba$$ that did the motors fault...) and its only for regular 87 octane. With the pilot bearing out it would only go to around 5k and that it would violently shake so thats as high as he went tuning it. The only reason i did a whole motor was because in my old one a valve smacked a piston and bent the valve which caused a bunch of other problems. If i still had the other motor i would be s/c'd already. Why does eveyone always put down f/i? As soon as i get the money for it im going blown. Screw spending thousands of dollars to get what? 50+ rwhp? My motor alone including the install and tune was $3000. Plus the headers and exhaust. Someone had a post on here the other day for a used vortech kit for $1800. So $3500+ to make 290rwhp or $1800 to make well over that? hmmm decisions decisions...
Old 11-24-2009, 12:51 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
true, but i think its more impressive getting higher HP numbers N/A. anyone can throw a blower on a car and get XXX HP.

if i had funds/time/resources id try to get highest N/A power and TQ i could. plus if your talking on a stock bottom end then its a ticking time bomb

to do a S/C right i would think you would basically build an engine around it.
lol really?

how impressive is it going to be while its being drug down the highway by a blower car? nobodys going to care if its NA or not if its getting its *** whooped.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:59 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tim99GT
why are you trying to avoid a s/c or spray? why not do it right the first time around? just to let you know, these motors suck as far as n/a power is concerned. you will spend the same amount of money as buying a blower just to get 100rwhp less with a n/a setup... just food for thought...
Where were you 6 years ago when I started building this car? I was too big of a ***** at first to pull the trigger on boost... boy did that just cost me a lot of extra time and money in the longer run.

Always have your end goal or plan in mind. And try to make it obtainable, so you might actually get to drive the car in the next 10 years. My biggest mistake was going out and buying this that I wanted now, but didn't fit into the overall goal, which just turn into big wastes of money.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:42 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

^^ I was there with you being a ***** not buying a blower lol

Just speaking from experience myself. When i first got the car i never once thought about a blower. It was too much "up front" money. Then I went and bought all the boltons and at the end was like WTF... $,2000 invested and i just gained 50hp... needless to say i didnt like what i was seeing. I have done a good bit to this car that if i had to do it over, i would have done some things different. Alot of parts have been bought just to be sold again because i changed what i was doing to the car.

I have seen quite a few ppl do this also. Especially those who had started modding their cars early on when the had first come out. Just trying to shed some light on the "new" guys as to what works and what is a waste of time and money.

IDK... maybe i'm just odd... I can tell you this though, I will never buy a cheap bolt on again for a car
From now on, if i get a new mustang/ect... the first thing i am doing is finding out how much the motor can handle and buying a blower to fit it

I have fallen in love with the feel of a blower kicking in and rocketing you down the road. There is honestly nothing like it...

Last edited by Tim99GT; 11-24-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:47 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tim99GT
^^

just speaking from experience myself. When i first got the car i never once thought about a blower. I went and bought all the boltons and at the end was like WTF... $,2000 invested and i just gained 50hp... needless to say i didnt like what i was seeing. I have done a good bit to this car that if i had to do it over, i would have. Alot of parts have been bought just to be sold again because i changed what i was doing to the car.

I have seen quite a few ppl do this also. Especially those who had started modding their cars early on when the had first come out. Just trying to shed some light on the "new" guys as to what works and what is a waste of time and money.

IDK... maybe i'm just odd... I can tell you this though, I will never buy a cheap bolt on again for a car
From now on, if i get a new mustang/ect... the first thing i am doing is finding out how much the motor can handle and buying a blower to fit it

I have fallen in love with the feel of a blower kicking in and rocketing you down the road. There is honestly nothing like it...
I was so anxious to just buy anything for the car, I ended up with a lot of dumb stuff that I needed to upgrade in the end anyways... If you can't afford what you want, keep saving, because it will save you so much more money in the long run to only do this stuff once.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:28 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

If going n/a really is your thing, like mine. make sure you know your **** about it. Thats why im switching to a 4v, guess what the highest n/a numbers for a 4v are? 530rwhp..not bad!!

and to the guy who said he could throw a blower on his car and smoke a cam'ed GT, lol....JAYC and trevor probably think differently.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:08 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

whats more impressive...seeing a 6 banger stang run 10's or a GT run 10's....

its already assumed that the 6er would have spent more time/money/effort on the car. if all you want to do is run 10's the cheapest way then go GT

if you want something different and dont mind the time/cost/effort then go 6er.

10 second 6er is more impressive TO ME than a 10 second gt BECAUSE its easier to get there in the GT.

....its easier to get high HP with a blower than going N/A without a doubt....but the N/A setup will impress me more IMO.

if no one is seeing my point then im just going to give up lol whether you agree or not is a diff story
Old 11-24-2009, 03:34 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Everyone gets your point. They're not talking about from an impressive build stance though. They're talking straight up hp:cash ratio wise. And, speaking in that sense, buying a blower is a lot more cost effective than spending possibly twice as much trying to get the same hp staying n/a. Thats all were saying. No ones picking on ya.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:04 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 98redstang
Everyone gets your point. They're not talking about from an impressive build stance though. They're talking straight up hp:cash ratio wise. And, speaking in that sense, buying a blower is a lot more cost effective than spending possibly twice as much and never getting the same hp staying n/a. Thats all were saying. No ones picking on ya.
Just a quick addition
Old 11-24-2009, 11:47 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

You could get damn close to 300 with stage 2 cams and a good tune. See my plan, since im still not even outta h/s...is to build the essential parts up so that when i DO have money ill put the biggest blower or TT setup. Like build the motor, rear, and trans, and THEN put the blower on.

I hate N/A power on these cars...3.6L KB is what im lookin at in the future lol. But it WILL not stay n/a.

Quick Reply: Hit 300hp on my 02 Mustang GT