4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

getting dyno tuned tomorrow!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 06:58 PM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
Yeah, if they all do it, there really are no other options. Just is asinine that major machine shops are delivering products that far off from specs. Especially when every .001" matters with these motors. Good thing timing/crank gears have the ability to correct their half-assed work.

From what I understand the master lobes are 5" in diameter and if you are off a thousandths there lining up to the keyway it moves it a degree or so.

The factory cams are better but not much.

Worse cams I have seen was a set of Comps that were 8 degrees advanced one side and 6 or 7 degrees retarded the other. Its not just the modulars that have this issue its all aftermarket cams.

The OEM heads vary about 1-2 degrees, and the TFS head I just tested was 10 degrees retarded compared to an OEM. I have some more TFS heads coming in that are all going to get thrown on the bench. I can't fix 10 degrees with a crank gear alone.........
Old 05-03-2010, 07:04 PM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

MHS's website says they don't sell the matched cam gears anymore???? What's up with that? And why does nick use bullet to grind his cams if they come that far off? Do other companies give similar results?

MHS still matches all the cam gears but also has to test the cams too, its on their website. I have tested all of them and nobody is better than the other when it comes to the degree test. I use Bullet because they will make whatever lobe spec my crazy mind can dream up. They have 4 different lifts now for just 225 duration because of me, Comp won't do that unless you are buying a bunch up front. Plus with Bullet you get to use the mod guru Mark Chacon, he has a bunch of mod records under his belt now from his cam designs.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:24 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nickmckinney
MHS still matches all the cam gears but also has to test the cams too, its on their website. I have tested all of them and nobody is better than the other when it comes to the degree test. I use Bullet because they will make whatever lobe spec my crazy mind can dream up. They have 4 different lifts now for just 225 duration because of me, Comp won't do that unless you are buying a bunch up front. Plus with Bullet you get to use the mod guru Mark Chacon, he has a bunch of mod records under his belt now from his cam designs.

Makes a lot of sense now. I just don't get why they don't just cut the keyway after and deliver more accurate cams. Maybe there is some reason that cutting the keyway first is required in the process?
Old 05-03-2010, 08:11 PM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

Makes a lot of sense now. I just don't get why they don't just cut the keyway after and deliver more accurate cams. Maybe there is some reason that cutting the keyway first is required in the process?

The keyway is cut by the manufacturer of the cam blank, of which there is one supplier for all mod stuff. They have to have a keyway to index the cam grinder to, its getting the keyway lined up perfectly to the master that is the issue from my admittedly limited understanding. Here is an article showing some pictures of how cams are ground:

Cam manufacturing article
Old 05-03-2010, 08:35 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nickmckinney
The keyway is cut by the manufacturer of the cam blank, of which there is one supplier for all mod stuff. They have to have a keyway to index the cam grinder to, its getting the keyway lined up perfectly to the master that is the issue from my admittedly limited understanding. Here is an article showing some pictures of how cams are ground:

Cam manufacturing article
ahh ok. Thanks Nick.