4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

catless!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 08:25 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
There are plenty of reasons you car made different numbers from when you had a catted x to an O/R x. Backpressure loss has most likely nothing to do with it. How about every dyno run even on the same day same dyno can yield different results. I'm assuming you didn't do a before and after dyno of the part on the same day either. What else had changed on your car from when you had the O/R pipe to when you ran the catted pipe?

You're second comparison is just plain retarded.....You are comparing torque curves from two completely different cars with completely different mods, completely different tunes, and probably done on different days , maybe even different dynos, and attributing the difference in your peak torque numbers to a backpressure issue? What? Get real.

We're not talking about running open shorty headers here....were talking about running full exhaust without cats. Do you really think your car needs catalytic converters to restrict you exhaust flow to make good torque?
This is pointless to argue this with you, especially since there are many threads that this gets argued about already. You believe that my comparison of 2 cars on the exact same dyno tuned by the same person for 93 octane to maximize performance. But whatever. I have an opinion, you have one too. Its no use trying to argue it because its pointless cus neither of us is budging from out opinion until we see some results on the exact same car on the exact same dyno with very similar conditions. So im not gonna argue it with you because its pointless.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:51 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
This is pointless to argue this with you, especially since there are many threads that this gets argued about already. You believe that my comparison of 2 cars on the exact same dyno tuned by the same person for 93 octane to maximize performance. But whatever. I have an opinion, you have one too. Its no use trying to argue it because its pointless cus neither of us is budging from out opinion until we see some results on the exact same car on the exact same dyno with very similar conditions. So im not gonna argue it with you because its pointless.
Yeah, it's pretty useless without this. We could argue til we're blue in the face, but neither one of us has anything concrete to go from. Even theoretically the gain/loss is debatable.

I will say that going from the stock 4 cats and 2 1/4 tubing to O/R is going to increase power and torque. The difference between an aftermarket catted setup and an o/r pipe might be different.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:01 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Its going to increase power, but more than likely its going to move the powerband. But thats a whole other subject and can of worms im not gonna open right now cus we're agreeing to disagree. I'd love to do this comparison though.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:27 PM
c_espitia
2nd Gear Member

i have LT headers, O/R H pipe and borla stingers Im about to put on how will that sound? Friends say it will be super loud will cops just pull me over yall think for it being to loud or no?
Old 05-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Mustang813
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 02stang2113
Sex to the ears? Aint it loud raspy and poppy???
But it wont hurt ya any (well maybe your ears )
Mine aren't raspy/poppy at all. I've only revved it up to about 5K with my exhaust, but up to 5K, no rasp/pop/crackle!
Old 05-06-2010, 09:39 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

He wasnt talking to you, he was talking to OP. H and flows wont be poppy/crackly...only with the x.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:42 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by c_espitia
i have LT headers, O/R H pipe and borla stingers Im about to put on how will that sound? Friends say it will be super loud will cops just pull me over yall think for it being to loud or no?
You will have one of the loudest and best sounding combinations available for our cars
Old 05-06-2010, 09:47 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

^Now that is true my friend.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:13 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Haha, I don't think many people will argue that one
Old 05-06-2010, 11:45 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Thats true