4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

catless!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 09:37 PM
RyanK
2nd Gear Member

Default catless!

The sound of slp reonators and no cats is like sex to the ears, but is there any down fall to running gutted cats becuase god dang does it sound nice especially when from way down the street they can hear you coming! I'm so happy my car finally sounds aggressive!

Last edited by RyanK; 05-05-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:36 PM
BigErrn02
1st Gear Member

I'm not sure the downfalls are from running cattless besides emissions and it being illegal, If I get caught its a automatic 300 bucks. But I agree with it sounding like sex since its what I'm running.

Im worried about how its going to sound when I put my SLP l/t on here in a few days.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:41 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

^^ better
Old 05-05-2010, 11:27 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

The only downside to no cats really is loss of backpressure which is slightly gonna have a negative effect on low end power. A better option I think to destroying your cats would be to cut them out and have tubing welded in, in place of them; or pick up an o/r pipe and keep your catted stock pipe on the side in case you need it. This is from like 30 years ago, but, my grandfather was telling me that TX emissions laws used to state something to the effect that, "IF a vehicle has emissions controlling equipment, then it must be functional...". So he immediately went out and had the cats and smog pump removed from his Lincoln Mark VI. I'm sure it's changed a little since then, though.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:28 PM
RyanK
2nd Gear Member

wow, i just got back from a cruise, and well there were a bunch of ricerz meet up in a pro audio parking lot and they were reving at ever muscle car that went by so i turned around and let it go up to 5k and there heads turned and faces dropped and the little kids went running behind the ricerz i felt like saying "thats vtec yooo" !
Old 05-05-2010, 11:33 PM
Mustang813
1st Gear Member

Well, I recently pulled my exhaust off from mid-pipe to tail pipe and threw on mac h-pipe with AT flows catback. It sounds AMAZING! Its loud and there is no dirty/nasty sound to it. The only thing about going cat-less is that for maybe the first minute of your car being cold, it will "backfire" when you downshift. I usually let my car warm up for a minute, and I never hear it.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:06 AM
02stang2113
4th Gear Member

Sex to the ears? Aint it loud raspy and poppy???
But it wont hurt ya any (well maybe your ears )
Old 05-06-2010, 12:22 AM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RyanK
wow, i just got back from a cruise, and well there were a bunch of ricerz meet up in a pro audio parking lot and they were reving at ever muscle car that went by so i turned around and let it go up to 5k and there heads turned and faces dropped and the little kids went running behind the ricerz i felt like saying "thats vtec yooo" !
Sounds like buffery to me. Don't be a toolshed.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:05 AM
RyanK
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Moonshine
Sounds like buffery to me. Don't be a toolshed.
I just wanted to havee some fun, I mean I have a one day pass to be loud then its back to being slow and quiet): causee I hate getting stopped by the 5o
Old 05-06-2010, 01:28 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RyanK
Know what you mean. I've been meaning to get a decal made for my back window that says, "Your Honda Sucks".

Quick Reply: catless!