4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Mid pipe question

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Cool

Originally Posted by mustangmancp
+ 1000 thats really crappy....if you welded in straight pipe and compared it to LM1s...you'd shoot yourself lol. It would just sound like crap

Nice try though lol
lmao are you serious i have had that RESONATOR and its nothing more that a str8 pipe with larger diameter than the inlet and the outlet but its nothing but an open pype with slp pressed into the side of it Guy maybe they are a godsend to you and thats fine get it how you live but i wonder why ppl get them and then end up getting rid of them. str8 pipe with a bulge in it i guess ya called that a tuned muffler that took alot of time to design and i guess simple addition and subtraction is the most complex part of mathmatics also. "nice try though ;-P
Old 08-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
I'm not linking this to have you read and believe what is said in this, but more of for the pictures:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt...t-muffler.html

I won't waste my money on an LM1 because there is nothing special to it. Maybe I sound redundant since I have said this before on OTHER LM1 threads...but oh well. I don't mean to step on anyone's toes that have LM1's but I think they are a waste when I could make a LM1 muffler in my garage with some steel sheets, 2 2.5" sections of pipe and a welder. It's a shiney muffler delete lol
That link says it all!!!! nice post
Old 08-10-2010, 09:58 AM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver
Thats pretty poor advice-the resonators are called resonators for a reason, they resonate lol. Just because they are hollow, doesnt mean they are not tuned. LM1's are worth the money. If you want to cheap out and weld in some straight pipes, go buy a truck.
that post was for devongarver's response to my post sorry about that mustangman
Old 08-10-2010, 10:02 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Hey if you like LM1's all the power to you. I'm not saying they are a crappy muffler...there just isn't enough to them to justify the price that's all.

If LOUD and OBNOXIOUS is what you want, I would suggest having a shop make a muffler delete like I tried and see if you like it (I HATED it with stock H pipe and only 2 front cats). If you do, then you saved yourself a good chunk of change.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:11 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

This topic gives me a f'n headache. It's like beating a dead horse day in and day out.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:17 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

^ I think you forgot something....

EDIT: If people would just use the search function FIRST and actully do some reading these kind of redundant topics would not come around so often.

It's safe to say that 95% of stuff a relatively non-mechanical/first time stang owner wants to do to their car has been done PLENTY of times before. It's always lowering/exhaust/CAI...(the other 5% they ask about can't be done due to their lack of knowledge on cars)

OP I mean no disrespect saying this. But a search would have yielded the results you are looking for.

Last edited by smitty2919; 08-10-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:44 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

If a topic gives you such a headache, then don't post.

Also, catted X pipe > stock H pipe.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:54 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert

Also, catted X pipe > stock H pipe.
I would generalize that even more:

ANY aftermarket midpipe > stock midpipe lol
Old 08-10-2010, 12:51 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
I'm not linking this to have you read and believe what is said in this, but more of for the pictures:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt...t-muffler.html

I won't waste my money on an LM1 because there is nothing special to it. Maybe I sound redundant since I have said this before on OTHER LM1 threads...but oh well. I don't mean to step on anyone's toes that have LM1's but I think they are a waste when I could make a LM1 muffler in my garage with some steel sheets, 2 2.5" sections of pipe and a welder. It's a shiney muffler delete lol
WOW...not expecting this from you smitty.....a shiny muffler delete...Look, it's not anything thats rocket science, but it is still tuned, and most people don't have the means or knowledge to build one from sheetmetal in their garage. Besides...It's shiny. lol.

Originally Posted by Rockwell28
lmao are you serious i have had that RESONATOR and its nothing more that a str8 pipe with larger diameter than the inlet and the outlet but its nothing but an open pype with slp pressed into the side of it Guy maybe they are a godsend to you and thats fine get it how you live but i wonder why ppl get them and then end up getting rid of them. str8 pipe with a bulge in it i guess ya called that a tuned muffler that took alot of time to design and i guess simple addition and subtraction is the most complex part of mathmatics also. "nice try though ;-P
That link says it all!!!! nice post
that post was for devongarver's response to my post sorry about that mustangman
Rockwell you are just digging a hole deeper and deeper...do you know what resonance even is? Know what nodes and antinodes are? Your a idiot if you think a company took a coffee can and stuck it on a pipe and called it done. The length and diameter are specifically chosen given the sound they want to emulate from the exhaust due to the resonant frequencies present.

Have either one of you had a LM1 exhaust and then swapped it out for a set of straight pipes? Ya i didn't think so. STFU.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:59 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

SLP LM1 FTMFW!!!!!!!!

/thread.

Oh and....
Originally Posted by 99GTvert
You're about as cool as AIDS.

Last edited by PurpleIcedGT; 08-10-2010 at 01:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Mid pipe question