4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

cam help

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 04:26 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

You're right wannabe. I didn't know that stage 2 blower cams needed aftermarket valves and springs. Then I would go stage one or just wait to do it all.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:31 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
Maybe you should take a look at Nick's blower cam specs. So many times people get caught up in the "stage" thing with cams when sometimes they prove to mean nothing.

CMS Stage 2 blower cams -
220/230
.530/.570
112 LSA

MHS Stage 1 blower cams -
225/230
.550/.525
110/118 - 114 LSA
Will work with stock valvesprings, pending amount of boost and are the largest cams Nick offers for the stock piston and intake.

In this case I would go with the Stage 1 blower cam
I think it really does pay to speak with the guys that design the cam in order to find the best grind for your particular application. Most of these guys aren't just throwing out specs and hoping they work well together. Looking at specs on paper is good and all, but making a decision based on what you think a cams specs will do is kind of dumb for the average guy. Most people don't know what to look for in cam specs with the exception of maybe lift and duration, and even those can be misleading depending on the application. The biggest lift and longest duration possible is not always necessary to make good power especially on these heads.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:31 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Those CMS Stage 2 blower cams will work with the stock valves and pistons but will require new springs.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:38 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
I think it really does pay to speak with the guys that design the cam in order to find the best grind for your particular application. Most of these guys aren't just throwing out specs and hoping they work well together. Looking at specs on paper is good and all, but making a decision based on what you think a cams specs will do is kind of dumb for the average guy. Most people don't know what to look for in cam specs with the exception of maybe lift and duration, and even those can be misleading depending on the application. The biggest lift and longest duration possible is not always necessary to make good power especially on these heads.
I agree with you about the average guy not knowing what those specs truly mean. They are though a good indication of how the cam will work. Also, the average guy won't know what to ask the companies who sell cams other than I have these mods, this is what I want to do, which cams do you recommend for me.

Nick IMO has great cam grinds on his site for most everyones needs and wants. It never hurts though like you said to give the company a call before buying.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:08 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

I agree with you about the average guy not knowing what those specs truly mean. They are though a good indication of how the cam will work. Also, the average guy won't know what to ask the companies who sell cams other than I have these mods, this is what I want to do, which cams do you recommend for me.

Nick IMO has great cam grinds on his site for most everyones needs and wants. It never hurts though like you said to give the company a call before buying.
If I were in the market for cams, I would ask them straight up. Someone that actually knows what they are doing designing cams should be able to explain why their cam grind is superior to another for a specific application in simple enough terms for the average car enthusiast to understand.

I know MHS has a lot of good products, but they are not the only ones that sell aftermarket cams for these cars. It pays to do your homework and see what other people with similar setups have success with.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:47 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

yeah i talked to the guy at MHS he said go ahead and get stage 2 N/A because of the fact that the supercharger is not in the near future. Its not coming for 2-3 years haha
Old 09-20-2010, 05:49 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

yeah i agree tbird ive looked into it and ive heard good about comp stage 2 mhs stage 2 and cms stage one cams so far anyone else hear of a good brand?
Old 09-20-2010, 07:00 PM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

Maybe you should take a look at Nick's blower cam specs. So many times people get caught up in the "stage" thing with cams when sometimes they prove to mean nothing.

MHS Stage 1 blower cams -
225/230
.550/.525
110/118 - 114 LSA
Will work with stock valvesprings, pending amount of boost and are the largest cams Nick offers for the stock piston and intake.

In this case I would go with the Stage 1 blower cam

In retrospect I should have designed a smaller cam for the "Stage 1" and had the "Stage 2" the largest to fit with a stock 4.6 PI. Most people think a "Stage 2" anything is mandatory for a stock motor.

If you look at them closely this is the same intake lobe as the Stage 2 NA cam and its set at the same ICL, this is the maximum intake lobe size I am comfortable with on a stock 4.6 PI motor and I had Bullet custom make it for me. The exhaust lobe duration and location is different between the cams, that is all. With a blower you want to advance the exhaust lobe which gives the secondary effect of a wider LSA if the ICL stays the same. This helps to cool down the cylinder. With a NA cam operating below 7000RPM you want to retard the exhaust lobe on the PI head, this makes the LSA tighter if the intake is kept the same. This gives the midrange the most output possible NA.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:17 PM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

Since nick owns or works with bullet.. they cuts CMS cams. All he did was re-tweak CMS cams.. If you want good cams go with MHS, if you want the best you need CMS. They have been proven since 2003 and NOTHING has taken its throne. And please.. Don't bring up this clearance issue.. Its not true. I don't see any proof and I need to rely on the competitor nicks word? Come on... They have not had any piston to valve issues since 2003 why would there be now? Personally I would get N/A cams and then sell them for blower cams when its time to get a blower. You can regain some money back and have great potential with the N/A cams during the 3 years of wait...
Old 09-20-2010, 07:18 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nickmckinney
In retrospect I should have designed a smaller cam for the "Stage 1" and had the "Stage 2" the largest to fit with a stock 4.6 PI. Most people think a "Stage 2" anything is mandatory for a stock motor.

If you look at them closely this is the same intake lobe as the Stage 2 NA cam and its set at the same ICL, this is the maximum intake lobe size I am comfortable with on a stock 4.6 PI motor and I had Bullet custom make it for me. The exhaust lobe duration and location is different between the cams, that is all. With a blower you want to advance the exhaust lobe which gives the secondary effect of a wider LSA if the ICL stays the same. This helps to cool down the cylinder. With a NA cam operating below 7000RPM you want to retard the exhaust lobe on the PI head, this makes the LSA tighter if the intake is kept the same. This gives the midrange the most output possible NA.
It is kind of funny that your stage 2 N/A seems to be what others would consider a stage 1, but your Stage 1 blower cam is what most would consider a stage 2 LOL. I just find that kind of humorous and it add definitely adds to the whole "stage" confusion.

Quick Reply: cam help