4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

N00B with Questions B4 I Buy!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 12:35 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Very nice car, good luck on the test drive, hope all goes well. I LOVE black GT-Rs.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:52 PM
ItalianStallionGTR

Thanks man! I love Mustangs too. Was close to pulling the trigger on a 2010 GT500 but I wanted to try something totally different so I went with the GT-R. Hopefully I still have some good ol' American fun with this GT.

Anything I should look out for during the test drive and visual inspection?
Old 10-28-2010, 12:53 PM
Blk003GT
4th Gear Member

90,000$ gt-r, 800hp vette, e60 m5.... and u want a 7500$ mustang. man imma start adding cars to my sig.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:01 PM
machracer11
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blk003GT
90,000$ gt-r, 800hp vette, e60 m5.... and u want a 7500$ mustang. man imma start adding cars to my sig.
not tryin to sound like an a hole or anything but am i the only one who finds this odd...

either way though, you would have a lot of fun with a GT and should be able to find a decent one in your price range
Old 10-28-2010, 01:04 PM
ItalianStallionGTR

Originally Posted by Blk003GT
I had a long response typed out but thought about it and realized some things are better off leaving alone...search my username on the forums of the different cars I've owned (mbworld, 6speed, nagtroc, m5board, etc)

...anyway...

Any more helpful info? Things to keep my eyes open to today?

Thanks a lot everyone!
Old 10-28-2010, 01:16 PM
machracer11
3rd Gear Member

You need to keep an eye out for the same things you would look for in any used car, weird rattles, grinding, things that just dont seem right. these cars hold up pretty well but there are still those out there that were run hard and put away wet
Old 10-28-2010, 01:21 PM
ItalianStallionGTR

Originally Posted by machracer11
You need to keep an eye out for the same things you would look for in any used car, weird rattles, grinding, things that just dont seem right. these cars hold up pretty well but there are still those out there that were run hard and put away wet
Thanks. Some cars have certain defects or quirks that ruin the car so I just wanted to make sure the GT wasn't one of them.

Funny because I've been hearing my whole life about how Ford quality sucks. I had an Explorer a few years back and it was great so I'm hoping this can just be a problem free but fun DD for me and the gf.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:27 PM
machracer11
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ItalianStallionGTR
Thanks. Some cars have certain defects or quirks that ruin the car so I just wanted to make sure the GT wasn't one of them.

Funny because I've been hearing my whole life about how Ford quality sucks. I had an Explorer a few years back and it was great so I'm hoping this can just be a problem free but fun DD for me and the gf.
haha well on the quality ill be the first to tell ya the interior could be better and there will be some sounds that are just interior things moving around (easy to get used to though) my mach1 has basically had 114k problem free miles (knock on wood)...
Just be sure to really look around the car for any sings of previous damage, make sure the tranny shifts smoothly, doesn't leak and so on and you should be fine.

are you set on a new edge mustang because with your price range you may be able to find a 5.0 in pretty good shape
Old 10-28-2010, 01:31 PM
ItalianStallionGTR

Originally Posted by machracer11
haha well on the quality ill be the first to tell ya the interior could be better and there will be some sounds that are just interior things moving around (easy to get used to though) my mach1 has basically had 114k problem free miles (knock on wood)...
Just be sure to really look around the car for any sings of previous damage, make sure the tranny shifts smoothly, doesn't leak and so on and you should be fine.

are you set on a new edge mustang because with your price range you may be able to find a 5.0 in pretty good shape
Yeah...I do like the Fox Bodies for many reasons but my girl isn't crazy about them (figures right lol) so I'm stuck with the 01-04's which I really like as well so it's all good. I just hope this one I'm looking at tonight doesn't have an interior that was mutilated by Freddy Kruger lol.

114k miles is pretty crazy and I'm sure you don't drive like a grandma either
Old 10-28-2010, 04:53 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

yea i beat the hell outta my car and it runs great (93k miles..had it since 50k miles)..actually it sucked up water the other day, but i let it set over night and it runs perfect now. i have full bolt ons with 4.10 gears and it will rip up to about 120 then thats it..but it will do 150 no problem just not as fast as zero-80.

mine is pretty comfy..ride sucks with these stiff H&R SS springs though..

my car does have a few creaks and rattles..but hey for as cheap as they are ford had to comprimise somewhere.

Quick Reply: N00B with Questions B4 I Buy!