4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

my slow build thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 10:45 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

And is there anything to worry about running that much hp through your stock trans? Or can they hold that much hp? Or what mods need to be done to them so that they can hold that much hp?
Old 02-10-2012, 10:52 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

fuel setup i'm not sure, i'll prolly just get a cobra hat/cobra pumps with a bap. that's a while off yet. the engine is first, s/c and all the power is next year.

my trans is already built, i had to redo it when it blew apart from a ujoint last summer so it's built to handle around 600hp, which is about all i want in the end. only thing left after this motor is the rear end which will be pretty simple to get to handle it. if you've got a stock auto it should hold 400ish hp as long as it's healthy. any more than that you might wanna get some better clutch packs/valve body upgrades/carbon band and a few other little tricks.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:18 AM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Did you put those in your trans your self? If so how hard was it? And did you get the parts from dirty dog?
Old 02-11-2012, 11:39 AM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Yeah I built the whole Trans myself, and got the rebuild kit from dirty dog. Cost me 420 I think for everything I needed besides fluid. It wasn't hard for me but this wasn't my first 4r70 I've been into.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:41 AM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...ld-thread.html
Old 02-11-2012, 05:14 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Thanks a lot man, honestly how hard was your first one? I do have mechanical skills and a ton of tools and a lift but I have never tore one apart before. I am good at remembering how to put stuff back together so that should come in handy
Old 02-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

Build is looking good man! I think we both know you would be better off sending my your rods and pistons though so I can get to 700rwhp. Trust me, it would make you feel really good to know you helped contribute to my build ... But seriously its really looking nice. When do you think you will have everything installed in your car?
Old 02-11-2012, 10:56 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

kerns I'm aiming to have the motor assembled by the end of this month. should make it there depending on how long it takes me to get my cams and figure out this degreeing **** haha. then it'll sit on my stand until the snow is gone, end of march/early april prolly. the track opens in the beginning of april so i may swing in there with the stock motor so i get a good comparison of na/nitrous times with and without the cams.

and dwt, if you have basic knowledge and can get your hands on some sort of trans rebuild manual you'll be set. only real specialty tool you need is a couple different sets of snap ring pliers. the hardest part is that there's so many different parts, you just gotta remember what goes where. spare parts at the end is not a good sign lol.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:10 AM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Yeah having left over parts from trans does sound like a bad idea. Alright man thanks i will look into doing the install my self. I called Alan and he is sending me a parts list of stuff i need. Since i have a 01 trans i need a few extra parts since they were the weakest of the 00-04 trans
Old 02-12-2012, 10:48 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

ctgreddy, I've got some 60# injectors if you're collecting fuel parts yet.

dwtjr3, what do you mean your trans is the weakest of the 00-04 trans?

Quick Reply: my slow build thread