4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

$2500 to spend.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 03:16 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kerns
My car traps 117mph with a vortech supercharger... that's 18mph faster then it would stock. I don't know about you, but that seems pretty impressive to me. That is faster then C5 Z06 Corvettes, C6 LS2 and LS3 Corvettes, Audi R8 (V8 Version), 03/04 Cobra, 07-12 Shelby GT500, LS3 Camaros, 392 Challengers, etc.
Really? You want to go there? You are comparing those stock cars to your car with a s/c. Tally up the money you put into your car...and dump it into any of the cars you listed then tell me how fast yours is lol.

Cobra's/GT500-put a pulley and a tune on them with exhaust and bye bye your 2V (ohh and is cheaper than a typical 2V s/c setup...obviously depends on if you bought new or used)

LSX engine cars-heads+cams+exhaust bye bye s/c 2V (and they aren't even going F/I...)

I'm not a LSX nutswinger, but mod for mod the LS motors are better. It's that simple, no way around it. I know some people get butt hurt over that. I owned a 04 GT and now an 03 Mach, so I like my mustangs.

Don't be one of those guys that thinks a s/c 2V > all....lol

Last edited by smitty2919; 10-25-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:20 PM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
Really? You want to go there? You are comparing those stock cars to your car with a s/c. Tally up the money you put into your car...and dump it into any of the cars you listed then tell me how fast yours is lol.

Cobra's/GT500-put a pulley and a tune on them with exhaust and bye bye your 2V (ohh and is cheaper than your s/c setup)

Z06/Camaro/Challengers-heads+cams+exhaust bye bye 2V (and they aren't even going F/I)

I have less then 10k$ in my car including the purchase price... We aren't talking mod for mod here. We are talking that for 10k$ I have a clean car that traps 117mph. I have raced full bolt on and pullied cobras btw... I pull them. I have raced full bolt on LS2 Corvettes, I pull on them. I have raced bolt on C5 Z06's... Once again, I pull on them. If they were to put F/I in their cars, yes I would get slaughtered. But every one of those cars just to buy the car in the first place, costs more than it cost me to buy and build my car. Not saying my car is amazing, but I am saying you can make a 2v pretty stout for cheap.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:23 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

I have less then 10k$ in my car including the purchase price... We aren't talking mod for mod here. We are talking that for 10k$ I have a clean car that traps 117mph. I have raced full bolt on and pullied cobras btw... I pull them. I have raced full bolt on LS2 Corvettes, I pull on them. I have raced bolt on C5 Z06's... Once again, I pull on them. If they were to put F/I in their cars, yes I would get slaughtered. But every one of those cars just to buy the car in the first place, costs more than it cost me to buy and build my car. Not saying my car is amazing, but I am saying you can make a 2v pretty stout for cheap.
Well without proof of videos etc, I guess I'll take your word about your "kills". But a lot about cost is everyone gets things at diff prices. So you have an under $10K car of mods and purchase price...maybe you picked up mods dirt cheap.

But OP is looking for $2500 worth....he won't get your results since you have s/c, cams, heads, exhaust, tune etc. All that isn't going on his car for $2500

I will admit that initial cost + cost of mods...mustangs in general are always a good bet. You can find GT's pretty cheap and mod them until you hit the cost of a Z06....but there is always more to it. The idea of "potential" plays a huge role for people too. In that aspect, LSX cars have more.

OP, if you want to do your time of searching for cheap parts you can have a s/c. It will be fun and enjoyable no doubt.

Last edited by smitty2919; 10-25-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:19 PM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

Well without proof of videos etc, I guess I'll take your word about your "kills". But a lot about cost is everyone gets things at diff prices. So you have an under $10K car of mods and purchase price...maybe you picked up mods dirt cheap.

But OP is looking for $2500 worth....he won't get your results since you have s/c, cams, heads, exhaust, tune etc. All that isn't going on his car for $2500

I will admit that initial cost + cost of mods...mustangs in general are always a good bet. You can find GT's pretty cheap and mod them until you hit the cost of a Z06....but there is always more to it. The idea of "potential" plays a huge role for people too. In that aspect, LSX cars have more.

OP, if you want to do your time of searching for cheap parts you can have a s/c. It will be fun and enjoyable no doubt.
I don't have heads or cams. I have them sitting in my garage, but they are not on the car. I have exhaust and a tune essentially plus a supercharger. You will need a tune with a supercharger, so really I have an offroad H pipe and mufflers. I have 3.73 gears also... I have heads and cams awaiting install, but once I do that I will be trapping mid 130's not 117. I am building a forged short block, return fuel system, t56 transmission, and stage 2 heads/cams on around 18psi, and will also get it tuned for E85. At that point I will be going for around 700rwhp, and I will also be dumping quite a bit more money into the car then as well. But as of right now, for 2500$, the OP can get an intercooled supercharger and have it tuned and make 370-390rwhp and have it be reliable.

Last edited by Kerns; 10-25-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:07 PM
modular16v

Out of curiousity...how much does your car weigh? were these races from a stand still or a roll? to my knowledge a full bolt on LS2 C6 should trap over 117? What is your mod list? not arguing just curious on the route you went to get your car to trap that with that little amount of money.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:13 PM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by modular16v
Out of curiousity...how much does your car weigh? were these races from a stand still or a roll? to my knowledge a full bolt on LS2 C6 should trap over 117? What is your mod list? not arguing just curious on the route you went to get your car to trap that with that little amount of money.
Full mod list is Accufab 75MM TB and Plenum, Vortech V2 SQ Trim with a 3.33 pulley, CXRacing intercooler, Tial BOV, 42lb injectors, SVT Focus fuel pump, Kenne-Bell Boost-a-pump, 14 inch 175lb springs up front on UPR Coil overs, maximum motorsports cc plates, maximum motorsports extreme duty lower control arms, lakewood 70/30 struts up front, lakewood 50/50 shocks out back, 3.73 gears, off-road H-pipe, flowmaster exhaust, pro 5.0 short throw shifter. I think that's it?

Weight removed is front sway bar, front bumper support, mach460 amps and speaker rack, spare tire, and jack removed. No idea what the car weighs, but I would guess around 3300lbs with me in it.

The LS2 race was a 40-130mph roll... Don't get me wrong, it was a very close race, but I pulled him by about 1/2 a car. Did 3 runs, same results every time.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:19 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Cobra's/GT500-put a pulley and a tune on them with exhaust and bye bye your 2V (ohh and is cheaper than a typical 2V s/c setup...obviously depends on if you bought new or used)

LSX engine cars-heads+cams+exhaust bye bye s/c 2V (and they aren't even going F/I...)

I'm not a LSX nutswinger, but mod for mod the LS motors are better. It's that simple, no way around it. I know some people get butt hurt over that. I owned a 04 GT and now an 03 Mach, so I like my mustangs.

Yeah like kerns said, go buy one of those cars listed and see who has more money to mod their car, the guy who took a 2v gt or a guy who bought a corvette. 2v's are reasonable to mod as long as you go F/I and not N/A. I have about 10k total in mine as well and i am satisfied (for now) with the power level it is at. Trust me i wouldnt mind having a vette, cobra or gt500 tho haha
Old 10-25-2011, 09:32 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

hey kerns, just out of curiosity you get PI heads ported or you buy new heads? If you got em ported what you port em to?

My build that i am saving up for is identical to yours except i am going with a built 4r instead of a t 56
Old 10-25-2011, 09:50 PM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dwtjr3
hey kerns, just out of curiosity you get PI heads ported or you buy new heads? If you got em ported what you port em to?

My build that i am saving up for is identical to yours except i am going with a built 4r instead of a t 56
They are Patriot Performance stage 2 heads with Houston Performance S292 Cams.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:42 AM
modular16v

Hmmm the vortech seems like it may be my best option as of right now, what about if I peiced together my own turbo kit? something small like a 62 or 67mm?

Quick Reply: $2500 to spend.