4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

99 Cobra now what

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 07:37 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by uedlose
*** dyno has been off before it is a bit on the conservative side most of the time unless I have a few beers then it wow that was fast LOL. The only code it is kicking is a ECM code something about it not being right I will have to get it again but I was thinking it maybe kicking that due to the tune that is in it. But I could be very wrong on this I am not real up on the newer OBD2 and performance. I will get the son over here and we will race and see how much I am off.
Really there very well could be something wrong and I am sure the tune is off some. I know it is a new short block with Manley piston 03 Cobra cams and good exhaust with no cats but still the stock shorty headers the car was set up for a S/C so I am not real sure on the compression it is a MMR 750 rotating assembly and the block was deck and aline bored then everything was balanced. it has a stock T/B and a PMAS that was blow through but other then that I think the rest is stock. Not sure if it had any intake runner work but he said it did have the fix done. my sons GTS is also kind of a freak car it did run like 14.0s which is good for that pig. with him driving.
So again how hard are you guys turning these thing I spun it up to like 5500/6000 rpm and it just felt like it went flat. I should be able to spin it up a bit more then that right? I guess I need a day at the track but that is not gone to happen as they are closed. guess I will be calling the boy for a late night meeting.
So your saying you bought a cobra for cheap and neglected to mention it has like a built shortblock, cams, etc etc........ dude are you trolling? Whats the specs on the motor?
Old 01-17-2012, 07:44 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Most people dont go too far past 6k 6200 is max for stock. But your not stock and please someone correct me if i am wrong. But with a forged motor you should be able to spin it to 6700 ish? Maybe more
Old 01-17-2012, 07:45 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

*** dyno has been off before it is a bit on the conservative side most of the time unless I have a few beers then it wow that was fast LOL. The only code it is kicking is a ECM code something about it not being right I will have to get it again but I was thinking it maybe kicking that due to the tune that is in it. But I could be very wrong on this I am not real up on the newer OBD2 and performance. I will get the son over here and we will race and see how much I am off.
Really there very well could be something wrong and I am sure the tune is off some. I know it is a new short block with Manley piston 03 Cobra cams and good exhaust with no cats but still the stock shorty headers the car was set up for a S/C so I am not real sure on the compression it is a MMR 750 rotating assembly and the block was deck and aline bored then everything was balanced. it has a stock T/B and a PMAS that was blow through but other then that I think the rest is stock. Not sure if it had any intake runner work but he said it did have the fix done. my sons GTS is also kind of a freak car it did run like 14.0s which is good for that pig. with him driving.
So again how hard are you guys turning these thing I spun it up to like 5500/6000 rpm and it just felt like it went flat. I should be able to spin it up a bit more then that right? I guess I need a day at the track but that is not gone to happen as they are closed. guess I will be calling the boy for a late night meeting.
The guy didnt tell you what cc the pistons are? Any receipts so you can try and find out? knowing the CR is a pretty big deal.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:47 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

are u sure it was put together right and tuned right? I would take it to a mustang shop and have them go through it and to put it on a dyno and look at everything
Old 01-17-2012, 09:25 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
So your saying you bought a cobra for cheap and neglected to mention it has like a built shortblock, cams, etc etc........ dude are you trolling? Whats the specs on the motor?
Trolling not hardly LOL. Just Mod Motor stupid, LOL ask me about a push rod Ford and I could tell you just about anything you want to know ask me how to set up your push rod set up with a S/C and I am good. Turbos I mess with them also. I am friends with one of the mods in the 5.0 section Mike is his name.
So on to what I know as of now it is a MMR 750 Forged rotating assy. with Manley pistons and Forged A/M I beam rods and a Forged crank not sure if it is A/M or a Ford crank. it is a Teksid block that is .020 over with 03 Cobra cams.
Yes I have all the receipts for the thing could it be a lie he told sure but I have looked at it very close all the gaskets are new and it has a MMR deep oil pan on it.
I got it from a guy on another site and looking back at his post he talks about building and putting the engine in over the last year. I trusted the guy. even if it is not what he said it was bought cheap enough to still sell and make money on.
The car did have a S/C on it but he took it off to turbo it got pissed at it and sold it. I will have to call MMR about the pistons. I dont think the receipts stated and part number for the pistons.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:51 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Ok col sounds like a nice car, I would definitely find out what the CR is and go from there
Old 01-17-2012, 10:12 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

theres a very good possibility it could be a low CR motor...

4V engines with 10+ compression should RIP up to 7000 no problem, better cams and intake should get you close to 8000

look and see what the CR is and go from there. if its high CR, somethings wrong, low CR, make sure its 100% and turbo the **** out of that bad boy!!!

you might miss the pushrod power (i still do) but trust me, when you can grin instead cringe when the needle swings up to 7000 its all worth it
Old 01-18-2012, 07:06 AM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

^ everything he said
Old 01-18-2012, 08:15 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MCxQubed
are u sure it was put together right and tuned right? I would take it to a mustang shop and have them go through it and to put it on a dyno and look at everything
I do all of my own work have for years I am in the automotive field and have been for years if I can build a 600HP turbo car all of it then this is small stuff and I will get it worked out always do.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:12 AM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

I do all of my own work have for years I am in the automotive field and have been for years if I can build a 600HP turbo car all of it then this is small stuff and I will get it worked out always do.
thats good then, you can just never trust what other people do sometimes

Quick Reply: 99 Cobra now what