4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

'99 Mustang GT Drive Shaft or Rear End Whine/Howl?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 07:18 AM
luke1333
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Walkerusn
Okay everyone, this is the official response to my original inquiry. Just came out of the shop last week after replacing the universals on the driveshaft of my 1999 Mustang GT convertible. The mechanic brought me out to the car and showed my some of the oil he extracted from the rear end. Very fine metal filings in the oil and this was just serviced a couple of weeks ago. What caused it, no maintenance on the rear end for almost 80,000 miles. The mechanic I have worked on this car and said that he could not even feel the oil level when he test it. Another issue is the fact that the pinion bearing has a lot of play in it which according to the mechanic is the source of the howling. Have to drive this car for about 2 more weeks. It is set to go into the shop on September 2, 2013 for a complete rebuild with all new parts and may take up to 3 days to complete. When it comes back it will have a warranty. Thought I would post this update for others who may be experiencing these types of issues. Want to avoid this, have the oil check in the rear end every time you do an oil change. Thanks for all of the inputs from all of you mustangers....can't wait to get my car repaired.
pinion bearing was the cause and only cause of my rear end howling. gears and all side bearings looked perfect, axles were perfect etc. mechanic told me i can leave stock 3.27 in but labor was the same for 3.73 so i put them in. only drove about 70 miles on car since it was done last week. dead silent and i can notice a little difference in gears and havent still gotten on car yet. you will be amazed man! you putting new gears in or not?

and 3 days seems awful long. took mechanic i had do mine about 5-6 hours for all bearings and ring and pinion
Old 08-20-2013, 09:46 AM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

the clunking in my rear went away when I drained and refilled the rear and added a bottle of friction modifier, although I only had it on slow turns. usually its a sign of low fluid, from what my mechanic told me.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Walkerusn

Final update: The stang goes into the shop today at Ford. Decided to use the dealership since all of the other shops were within about 100.00 of each other. That way I know I get original factory parts and it is only 3 blocks from where I work. A note for all of you automatic mustangers, if you change the gear ratio in the rear end then you will also need your automatic transmission reprogrammed. If you have one of those programmers and are pretty savvy with it then you can do it yourself. Otherwise the dealer will do it for you, but at a cost. Should have my car back on Friday this week all repaired and ready to hit the streets again.