4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Need Help Rebuilding A 2000 GT Automatic 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 09:57 AM
blacknight9

Default Need Help Rebuilding A 2000 GT Automatic 4.6

I own an automatic 2000 GT 4.6 and I am ready to bring it back to life. I am not mechanically inclined and seek advise from those who can help me bring my vision to reality. When all is said and done I want the car to perform and handle to its optimal level. Basically I want to maximize its potential without making any illegal modifications. Currently the car has around 135K miles on it and I want it to be new again. Budget is not an issue but I dont want to spend money unnecessarily. All things imperative and nothing unnecessary is my strategy going in to this project. I'm in Los Angeles for those who have any suggestions on where to go. I want the best parts and the best mechanics for that matter. Whatever it takes doesnt matter: suspension, engine, transmission etc etc - at the end of the day I want to have a solid reliable vehicle thats going to be on the road performing without a problem. I'm not trying to compete with Dale Earnhart or anyone. Just want to maximize the full ability of what I already have. I'm not sure of how to approach such a task. What would be the most cost effective way, where do I go, who has a reputation of great work in my area., how much should i spend. These are some of the questions I have. Im not sure if I just walk in a shop with the parts or allow them to do their magic on the engine in the car. Its not like the car doesnt run or is giving me problems. Instead of buying a new car this obviously would be a better investment. I plan to use this platform and those who provide their expertise in knowledge to execute the ideas giving here. If I wasnt specific enough I can elaborate if needed. On the note I have my ears open and I am completely objective to all the views and perspectives. This is a wonderful community and thanks in advance to all and anyone who shared information.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:16 AM
03gt04mach1
3rd Gear Member

Welcome to the forum first. All I can say is, find an independent Tranny Shop that's been around a long time, and has a good reputation. I rebuilt transmissions for over 10 years working for an honest independent. I had a SHORT stint with a franchise, very short. I won't mention any names. Ask direct questions on their knowledge of your unit, which should be be the AOD-E. That's a start. Make sure to ask that they replace the Torque Converter, it will be extra of course, but worth it. And that they flush the Transmission Lines of all metal debris. Go in with some knowledge of the AOD-E, which helps, so you won't be taken advantage of. Just knowing the name of the tranny is a help, since most people don't even know the designated tranny in their cars. I hope this will help a little. Again, welcome.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:08 AM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

I would not even attempt to open an auto trans. Those things have more parts in them than the entire rest of the car itself.

Take it to a shop!
Old 12-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by blacknight9
Its not like the car doesnt run or is giving me problems. Instead of buying a new car this obviously would be a better investment.
Just curious, if it doesn't run and isn't giving you problems why rebuild it? When properly maintained and not driving too hard these engines will last into the 200k range. For now I would put some money into updating the suspension since your factory shocks are probably not as good as before. All in all though I'm in the if it isn't broke, don't fix it mindset. If you have a perfectly good car wait until you actually need to replace the engine and then replace it with a built 4.6. Especially since you said you aren't trying to build a race car just snag some bolt-ons and up your output that way.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:07 PM
blacknight9

Like I said I would take in all suggestions. Thanks guys. So far im blown away by the response. @steveo86- yeah its not giving me any problems but I feel that the car isn't performing as desired. Perhaps time has caused it to lose some power. I feel like its operating on 1.5 legs so to speak. Perhaps there are more appropriate things to do to restore the power. This is why I approaced the forum. It certainly wouldn't be wise to buy another engine and just get rid of the one I have if all I need to is invest money to optimize it. @moonshine and mach1- yeah i will certainly look into the transmission and those tips have already given me some perspective. atleast i know what type of transmission i have now - so now i will start researching. I'm just beginning and all i encourage more suggestions if anyone has them. thanks alot. all in all what should i spend to optimize the performance and handling.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:51 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

If it's not running great and only has 135k on it take it to a trusted mechanic and let him wave his magic wand over it before you go nuts making everything new. Freshen it up and then see where you're at.

Who knows what he'll find..bad injectors or spark plugss, muddy trans fluid, whipped shocks & struts. It's amazing what a few new parts can do sometimes. I just had my trans serviced this week, (along with having #2 sparkplug helicoiled back into the head) and I was very pleasently surprised. The shifts are once again spot on and crisp. I forgot just how well that automatic can shift.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:22 PM
blacknight9

fastback i appreciate that. thanks alot. i will look into all of the advice for sure. thanks a million.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:37 AM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

If it hasn't been done recently, have them perform a FULL tune-up. Oil chane, spark plugs, induction service, radiator flush, trans flush, fuel filter, air filter if you don't already have a re-usable one. All that should run in the $300 range and I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the feel of your car afterwards.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:21 PM
blacknight9

steveo. thanks man. i never thought of this. thanks man.