4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Broke Lower Control Arm..

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 03:42 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

They do look old. I've never seen that before

Good choice on goong upr
Old 04-22-2013, 04:19 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Like my MM lowers!
Old 04-23-2013, 03:33 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Yikes. That is a scary failure. You made the right choice going with UPR.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:22 AM
jeff37110
2nd Gear Member

They are just dirty..They might be 3 months old..So not old at all.. Granatelli said first set he has seen to brake out of like 6000 sold..Im yet to get anything out of the deal though..I ask him to replace my tire instead of those crappy control arms..Still waiting..
Old 04-28-2013, 05:11 AM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

I'm surprised JR Granatelli hasn't jumped in to defend the superior quality of his suspension parts.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:58 PM
granatelli
Former Sponsor

Default Like I said, Sorry to see this happen

We have over 6000 sets sold over the last 13 years and you will note this is the first this has been an issue. We are super sorry to see this. Every effort has been made to revamp the design although we see yours as a fluke. You made reference to a weld not being there. Below is an arm that is unpainted to show the welds more closely.

Name:  IMG_1001_zps595a547b.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  98.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1000_zps06c5e1c2.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  57.3 KB

Welds go all the way around top and bottom / front and back

Name:  IMG_0999_zps4c15fbbc.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  85.3 KB

Based on your issue we are adding a gusset to all WJ arms. The grinds you see are for plate clearance

Name:  IMG_1002_zpscdd1ea00.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  81.1 KB

This plate will make a huge difference in the design strength but in truth it looks like you had a weld failure and I am sorry.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:49 PM
jeff37110
2nd Gear Member

I plainly stated that a weld let go..I never said it wasnt there..I will be first to say I have used your products before and never had a problem..This part right here did however put a bad taste in my mouth..I know this kinda stuff happens every know and then..but at least your willing to stand behind it..

Last edited by jeff37110; 05-14-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:28 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by jeff37110
I plainly stated that a weld let go..I never said it wasnt there..I will be first to say I have used your products before and never had a problem..This part right here did however put a bad taste in my mouth..I know this kinda stuff happens every know and then..but at least your willing to stand behind it..
Did I miss the part where JR replaced your LCAs?

How will that extra welded-on plate affect Granatelli's marketing? The LCAs no longer look like MM LCAs. Will Maximum Motorsports copy Granatelli's band aid weld-a-plate?

Last edited by Sonic Mustang; 05-14-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:32 PM
granatelli
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang
Did I miss the part where JR replaced your LCAs?

How will that extra welded-on plate affect Granatelli's marketing? The LCAs no longer look like MM LCAs. Will Maximum Motorsports copy Granatelli's band aid weld-a-plate?
Not here to argue Mr. Just trying to service the customer. If you don't understand design engineering its cool. Like I said above, we have not had WJ arm failures however in an effort to give everyone piece of mind and to show we are always trying to build a better part we are adding the stiffening plate. A close look at our design reveals the GMS units have a floating pin. No other WJ arm has ever offered this design.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:44 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by granatelli
Not here to argue Mr. Just trying to service the customer. If you don't understand design engineering its cool. Like I said above, we have not had WJ arm failures however in an effort to give everyone piece of mind and to show we are always trying to build a better part we are adding the stiffening plate. A close look at our design reveals the GMS units have a floating pin. No other WJ arm has ever offered this design.
I know from reading your many, many, many inane posts on other forums your English as well as people skills are extremely limited.

I posed a question to the OP. Did he get his LCAs replaced?

You decided to side-step the question by questioning my engineering acumen. I asked no question about the engineering of your welded-on patch or the failed LCAs that are the subject of this thread. If I wanted to ask an engineering question, I would have asked why your LCAs need a welded-on patch plate instead of being correctly engineered the the first place.

Since your LCAs look like other LCAs on the market, my limited engineering knowledge tells me your problem lies in material or workmanship and the patch-plate is a quick and dirty fix.

Based on you illiterate postings all over the web, I would not ask you any engineering school as I am unaware of any accredited engineering school that hands out degrees to students without passing English grades.

Quick Reply: Broke Lower Control Arm..