4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Coming Along..

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 06:42 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Thanks again for the info Bman. How's your build going? Yeah man after further research I'm on borrowed time with the walbro. Wish I had known that two years ago. I've already started looking for a cobra tank and I have the money but gotta wait until this house huntings over. I may just buy one and put it up until I can afford the install and dyno. How much can I expect to pay for the tank install and where's a good place to buy one? I've been on eBay but I'm kinda apprehensive about buying a used one.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

Tank install is super easy. 2 straps and a 3 bolts and it drops down. Disconnect the lines and you're done. Do everything in reverse to reinstall. You can do it in your garage in about 2-3 hours total taking your time.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:37 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

yes i would just do it myself as well, emptier the better lol. On that note though, get a new o ring for the fill nozzle...lol if your new tank doesn't come with one, my first drop i didn't think about it reinstalled it filled it up and it leaked all over the place lol. Yea fuel upgrades suck. I have a friend with a shop, so i was able to work trade for use of some of his fancy tools, But after the amount of time i spent tracing down my fuel issues, i got so sick of the time and parts and wasted dyno money, that i just went out and bought the return style system lol. I felt like the only person on this forum who continuously had issue with fuel for just 360 rwhp, so no one was very helpful. In any case i know you want to drive your car, but if your already on engine number 2, id be more leery like ive been. Just want to be the word of caution. If the pump isnt ment for the application there is risk running it. I know it sucks to hear that, but someone has too, cheapest way into a big bad *** fuel system is lethal s budget return style like i have. If your car needs to pass deq unlike mine, your best set up may be provided by someone else here, although i find it likely you'll still need a fuel hat.

As far as my build goes, ive had some bumps in the road, but at this point i dont have all the money so any delay really is just a pain instead of stopping me for getting somewhere. I have my rotating assembly, pricing heads and cams from MHS and at this point a victor jr intake and elbow. Other than that, ive been kinda skipping the short block machining cuz im afraid if i dont buy the heads and cams now ill pu$$ out and say i dont need those...lol but i do...
Old 11-26-2013, 09:40 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

one last thing...is there a reason you aren't doing any of this work yourself? is it because you're away? or never done it? I only ask because some of this stuff doing yourself saves you tons of money, enough in some cases to pay for other upgrades, its because of that i do all my own work, build my own motors, swap my own trannys, install my own sc...Sometimes its fun but really its because if i didn't i wouldn't have a fast car cuz i cant afford it haha. A good example if i had paid to have someone pull my other motor and tranny and tell me it was garbage, that would have cost half my rotating assembly.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:33 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99 GT vert
I agree with bman definitely do the cobra tank but if it isnt in the budget before yiu get a tune at least get the dual pump hat so you are not wasting money on a second tune
Good advice from a very good man RIP Evan...