Notices
4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Coolant pooling on block under intake manifold

Old 01-31-2014, 11:24 PM
  #11  
Bman2000
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: oregon
Posts: 1,501
Default

I'd say do it yourself, of course make sure you find the leak first before you waste money replacing it. But it's pretty simple. Also if you do it yourself you can save enough money to buy my typhoon intake I have up for sale! Hehe shameless plug. On that note I put the typhoon in years ago because of intake failure which also cost me a cop...been a great intake and I don't have to worry about it breaking.
Bman2000 is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 12:10 AM
  #12  
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
SyNdicateZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mass
Posts: 994
Default

Originally Posted by Bman2000 View Post
I'd say do it yourself, of course make sure you find the leak first before you waste money replacing it. But it's pretty simple. Also if you do it yourself you can save enough money to buy my typhoon intake I have up for sale! Hehe shameless plug. On that note I put the typhoon in years ago because of intake failure which also cost me a cop...been a great intake and I don't have to worry about it breaking.
I have a k&n intake so I'm good in that department.

Anyways, I think just to get the coolant cleaned up from the "valley" the intake manifold would need to be removed anyways?
SyNdicateZ is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 12:25 PM
  #13  
Bman2000
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: oregon
Posts: 1,501
Default

Originally Posted by SyNdicateZ View Post
I have a k&n intake so I'm good in that department.

Anyways, I think just to get the coolant cleaned up from the "valley" the intake manifold would need to be removed anyways?
What I am talking about is a typhoon intake manifold, not a cold air intake. The intake manifold is possibly what is leaking on your car, meaning you'd have to replace it with a new one, hence why I mentioned mine.
Bman2000 is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 12:38 PM
  #14  
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
SyNdicateZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mass
Posts: 994
Default

Yea i realized it was the manifold you were talking about after my last post. Thanks for the offer, i already have a replacement ffrp pi manifold on order just incase i really do need a new one
SyNdicateZ is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 01:33 PM
  #15  
Bman2000
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: oregon
Posts: 1,501
Default

No big deal shameless plug anyway
Bman2000 is offline  
Old 02-03-2014, 08:04 AM
  #16  
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll
 
WhiteFoxGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 6,388
Default

Take the alternator off and you should be able to see right down the front of the valley, just dont remove any coolant related hoses or parts... bomb it with water, let it dry and then pressure test. It'll most likely be the intake itself, but its always good to test first
WhiteFoxGT is offline  
Old 02-03-2014, 06:05 PM
  #17  
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
SyNdicateZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mass
Posts: 994
Default

How do u pressure test it?
SyNdicateZ is offline  
Old 02-04-2014, 10:39 AM
  #18  
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member
 
amoosenamedhank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: MN
Posts: 4,418
Default

If you're lucky it's the line coming out of the water pump... replacing the manifold is really no big deal though.

I probably had my buddies T-bird running to running in about 2 hours... some of that time was letting that bastard cool off some.
amoosenamedhank is offline  
Old 02-04-2014, 10:50 AM
  #19  
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll
 
WhiteFoxGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 6,388
Default

Originally Posted by SyNdicateZ View Post
How do u pressure test it?
coolant pressure tester, but your going to need the special adapter that doesnt come with the normal kits. honestly at this point it might be cheaper to pay a shop to diagnose it, and maybe do the work as well... no offense, but if you have to ask this many questions, you dont sound like you should be doing the work
WhiteFoxGT is offline  
Old 02-04-2014, 11:19 PM
  #20  
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
SyNdicateZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mass
Posts: 994
Default

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT View Post
coolant pressure tester, but your going to need the special adapter that doesnt come with the normal kits. honestly at this point it might be cheaper to pay a shop to diagnose it, and maybe do the work as well... no offense, but if you have to ask this many questions, you dont sound like you should be doing the work
No offense taken...my plan from the beginning was to take it to my shop anyways.. I just like to ask questions and learn from here also...

Although, I know that if I HAD to do it myself I would be fine..I think.

I installed my accufab plenum/throttle body myself so I'm not that horrible at installs..I guess...:/
SyNdicateZ is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Granatelli Sales
The New S550 2015-2020 Mustang
21
04-27-2017 01:33 PM
Vrooom
4.6L General Discussion
13
02-21-2016 05:25 PM
Shadow7874
2005-2014 Mustangs
4
09-24-2015 09:06 PM
JDWalton
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions
8
09-24-2015 08:47 PM
Scottyboy187
SVT Forums
1
09-13-2015 10:23 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolant pooling on block under intake manifold


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.