4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 03:57 PM
Nicholas F

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
Yes 410s are definitely the way to go. I have a MGW and love it but I heard Streeda was also a good STS.
What kind of exhaust would you recommend? I want something that's loud but something that's a good choice
Old 03-14-2016, 11:23 PM
Nicholas F

What would the best exhaust kit be? I want an x pipe but I don't know what to get, any suggestions on what to get like the whole full x pipe exhaust combo kit that comes with everything from the headers all the way back to the tips, the whole assembly setup , borla, bassani, and where could I get it?
Old 03-14-2016, 11:27 PM
Nicholas F

Everything I find is just the x pipe piece of the exhaust, I want the whole setup, the x pipe that hooks to the headers and and the rest of the pipe assembly that connects to the rest of the pipes back to the tips?
Old 03-15-2016, 02:10 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

You have to buy them all separately - h or x pipe, headers, catback.

Best thing you can do is go on Youtube and check out exhaust clips, see what you like. I've been running a BBK offroad x with SLP Loudmouth2 catback for years, it sounds good but it's definitely loud. Not to the point of being hassled by the cops but on longer drives the drone wears you out.

As far as the SLP catback, what I like about it that I haven't noticed in other systems is that you can use any of their 3 different mufflers with it, takes less than 30 minutes to switch them out. I've been through all 3... Again though, choose a catback system (and midpipe) based on the sound you want. Catback isn't going to gain any hp, midpipe is good for about 10, doesn't matter if h or x. But that's just me personally as far as liking the SLP setup, if you want a different catback it all just comes down to personal taste and what sounds good to you.

All that said, my car will be going in for a new clutch in a few weeks. While the trans is out I have some Pypes shorty headers that will be going in and I'm bored with the x pipe so will be switching to a Mac Prochamber. May swap out the LM2 mufflers for Powerflo to quiet it down, kinda waiting to see what effect the new midpipe has on cabin drone first.

Regarding headers, long or short the install is a complete pain in the ***. Short headers are only worth about 5 hp, most people do longtubes since they tend to gain 10-15. There are some other considerations with lt's though that for now I won't get into. The only reason I'm installing shorties is because they were given to me, otherwise I wouldn't bother unless installing them with the engine already pulled out of the car. My recommedation for you at this time is just stick with the stock manifolds and deal with midpipe and catback.

AmericanMuscle.com and LMR.com are both good places to begin your search for these things.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:35 PM
Nicholas F

One of my friends told me to get what you already have, the bbk x with slp loudmouths that's what he had and it sounded great thank bro
Old 03-15-2016, 08:54 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

Don't know if you have bought your Tb and plenum yet but for what its worth I also have a Profession Products 75mm Tb and Plenum from Summit Racing and completely satisfied.

They are dam near identical to the Trick Flow, but a little cheaper.

Based on flow numbers Accufab is the best, unless you are planning FI just not worth the investment in my opinion

The two biggest gains on a 2V is

#1 Gears (if you can do them yourself, it can be done for less than $350.00, if not $650.00 to $750.00)

#2 is a tuner $400.00
Old 03-16-2016, 11:16 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nicholas F
One of my friends told me to get what you already have, the bbk x with slp loudmouths that's what he had and it sounded great thank bro
If you go this route, with an o/r midpipe and Loudmouth catback be sure you get the LM2's and not the LM1's.

LM1's sound great with the stock midpipe. With an off road pipe they are stupid loud and not in a good way - it honestly sounds identical to not having any exhaust at all after the midpipe. The LM2 resonators have a bit of sound deadening material packed into them. Won't sound like *** that way, my only complaint besides the drone mentioned above is that it gives the car a little bit louder of a bark than the car itself is capable of backing up with power and attracts unwanted attention from every sh¡tbox ricer with a fart can on the road. I'm not interested in trying to prove anything to a guy in a '03 4 door Civic EX lol.