Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Transverse Vibration After Driveshaft Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 09:03 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Transverse Vibration After Driveshaft Install

So what did the driveline shop say?

ORIGINAL: dseid2

sd07gt:

Did just what you suggested and left my Stang with a driveline shop in Vista after work today. They are going to check the car out tomorrow. I certianly hope it is not the gears as I have had them done twice now. The second time by my local Ford dealer. We shall see.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:00 AM
dseid2
2nd Gear Member

moosestang:

First, the driveline shopspun the aluminum driveshaft and said itwas out about 20 thousandths. So they put the stock driveshaft back in and although better there was still vibration over 80 mph. They decided to try another gear set. After about a dozen tries they finally got the new FRPP 4.10 gear set to work, no wine and avery, very, veryminimalvibration atat about 90 mph (so minimal that it might just be me, I am a perfectionist), that goes away after that. I think this is as good as I am going toget it without replacing the entire rear-end like spyder7724 on the "Can gears cause vibration problems?" thread that you started.

Best Regards

Old 06-04-2007, 05:49 PM
sd07gt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dseid2

moosestang:

First, the driveline shop spun the aluminum driveshaft and said it was out about 20 thousandths. So they put the stock driveshaft back in and although better there was still vibration over 80 mph. They decided to try another gear set. After about a dozen tries they finally got the new FRPP 4.10 gear set to work, no wine and a very, very, very minimal vibration at at about 90 mph (so minimal that it might just be me, I am a perfectionist), that goes away after that. I think this is as good as I am going to get it without replacing the entire rear-end like spyder7724 on the "Can gears cause vibration problems?" thread that you started.

Best Regards

Why didn't you get the powerhouse shaft balanced , and give that a try after you got the vibration out of your gears ? or are just going to send it back and tell them it was out 20 thousands and call it a day ? (been there done that ) lol

good luck !!
Old 06-05-2007, 01:43 AM
dseid2
2nd Gear Member

sd07gt:

Since the Powerhouse driveshaft was out 20 thousandths it is not worth balancing. Second it turns out 4.0" driveshafts scrape the floor pan on lowered cars (although I don't think I scrappedthe Powerhouse on my car), so 3.5" driveshaft’sare coming out as I write this. Finally, at this pointthe vibration is gone and I don't want riskchanging anything. Bottom line, I am going to send the Powerhouse driveshaft back to CHE.

Best Regards

Old 06-05-2007, 01:01 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

This thread is a good advertisement to keep the stock ds and rear end. I can get a slightly used(18-20k miles)set of ford3.73's from a friend who has a marauder. But after all the trouble I've seen in this thread I would lean torwards holding off. What should be a no brainer type of upgrade seems to have a number of issue's and I cant afford to replace my rear end 3 or 4 times nor can I afford to change gears 10-12 times. I have heard powerhouse is one of the best when it comes to drive shafts and have also heard good things about both Denny and Spyder, I just dont see how it would be worth it if you have to change multiple parts to make it work right even when using the best parts available.

I apologze for hijacing the thread....now back to our regularly scheduled prigramming
Old 06-06-2007, 03:04 AM
dseid2
2nd Gear Member

Mikes_Blk_GT

Note that I got my moneyback from JBA, the for the first 4.10 install and I am returning the Powerhouse driveshaft (which was out 20 thousandths) to CHE. So as of tonight my net cost is 2 installs (the driveline shop only charged my once even though they did the job over a dozen times). I will be stopping by Ken Grody Ford to see it they will give me my money back for the second install, which would make me whole. Would I do it again, aboslutely, the 4.10's are great on a street car built to go light to light. Would I do used3.73's, no way, not enough improvement over 3.55's. Would I consider used gears, nope. Would I take short cuts, not after what I have been through. Would I find a reputable driveline shop and not worry about price from the get go, yep.

Best Regards
Old 06-06-2007, 05:08 AM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

dseid2
I have 3.31's as I understand it thats what came standard on the 06 auto's. If I had 3.55's I probably wouldnt swap gears at all. Most with auto's it seems go with the 3.73's and I'm inclined to go with new gears after reading herebut would only considerthe used setbecause of who it is.Its also whatyou said about the 4" dsscraping on lowered cars that is of concern as well though. I prefer to keep some top end so 4.10's would be a bit much for me I think but we'll see my plans seem to change all the time. I have narrowed my ds choices down to 2 and really am not ready for that mod yet but these are things I have to consider when puttig mod's on my dd.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:18 AM
dseid2
2nd Gear Member

Mikes_Blk_GT

3.73's are agood choice for an automatic, maybe 3.90's. Note that overdrive on an automatic is .72 vs .68on a manual.

Best Regards