Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Real horsepower vs flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 10:51 AM
oldguy05gt

Default Real horsepower vs flywheel

I amwondering about myrecently purchased '05GT'sactual rwhp. Ford says they are300hpbut I figure it's flywheel hp and maybe reallymore like 260rwhp.So if I start from there and put on the basic Vortech supercharger(which is being done now at the dealers's shop)rated at 8.5-9.5psi more or less, will I getan actual rwhpboost of somewhere close to the100 hp range or what?

My lastexperience with superchargers was a9psi Vortech on a '89 Taurus SHO. Ford advertised these as220 hp. I took it to the SHOShopin Huntington Beachand puttheir Stage III everythingon top of the stock 3.0 Yamahablock.

"Before"dyno runwas true to form at 177 rwhp and 165rwtq at 6800 rpm in third gear. "After" dyno run was set at345 rwhp and287rwtq same rpm in third.This setup would run high12'sandclose to 110 at the strip.

I have an opinion ofsuperchargers being the best way to add horsepower without doing anything else. So I have high hopes for the'05 GTgetting some impressive gainwith the 8.5-9.5 Vortechinplace.

Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks .
Old 11-13-2007, 07:34 PM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Real horsepower vs flywheel

I've seen stock 3Vs go from about 255-270rwhp (autos on the lower end of that scale due to more drivetrain loss through the transmission).

How much will you get with between 8.5-9.5 psi on a centri? I would guess you'dend upbetween 410-440 rwhp depending on tune and required supporting mods.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:37 PM
reeflover
2nd Gear Member

I agree you should be around 400rwhp if that is your only mod. If you have other modse.g. exhaust system, intercooler, coils, cold air kit ect you will definetly see probally closer to 450 rwhp with 9 psi of boost. Get ready for lots of smiles. Forced induction is a beautiful thing.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:26 AM
oldguy05gt

I'm pretty sure thisis the standard system that is being installed:

http://tinyurl.com/2bxn8d

The Ford dealer drove the car up to the next county to their other dealership shop that does this kind of work.

So there's no coolingwhich would seem to be the next stepif I want to go there,but thereisa larger fuel pump and injectors andMAF.

I don't want to add things that Iwill have to take off every time I go to the dealer forservice, as everything they do now is under warrantee on the contract for3 yrs/30k miles.

The exhaust system seems not so bad stock,and again due to warrantee - what can I dofor performance besides mufflersthat will mainly make it sound better? I think a full exhaust system will not get by the dealerand don't know how muchreal hp it mayadd(?)
Old 11-14-2007, 08:58 PM
reeflover
2nd Gear Member

A year ago in July I was in your exact position. I bought a 06GT convertable and the dealer I bought it from is a authorized Roushcharger installer. I had looked at the Steeda Q cars and the Saleen Supercharged cars. I decided to save a little money and just slap a roushcharger on my brand new Mustang. As long as the dealer installed itwouldretain it factory warranty. How graet a idea is that. Well if adding a little more punch to your car and still retaining your factory warranty is your one and only goal it is a great idea. After I got my car back it was much faster than stock but I still wanted more. I was then faced with the decision do I keep going with the bolt-ons and forget the warranty idea or just leave it alone or maybe just make it look better. Well I used to ride and work on motorcycles so I like goingfast. Real fast! So I ditched the warranty idea and went for broke. Literally! My point is thatthis is thesame decision your going to have to make. The warranty is a great thing to fall back on with piece of mind but in hind sight I would have done things a liitle different. If I could do it again I would choose a better more powerful supercharger and would have saved myself a lot of money and just not worry about the warranty. If you blow it up, then you can really go wild with the power. Good luck woth your mods!
Old 11-15-2007, 03:01 AM
oldguy05gt

I bought my '89 SHOin '93, and decided to go for speed in2000. I was no longer a backyard mechanic, so I had to pay for what I wanted. After the first $16kI gradually put another$6kinto it over the next few years, then put the 12psi blower on it and put a rodthrough the block withina week! The car was starting to need some cosmetic workinside and out and had a few electrical bugs so I didn't get it fixed.

So with the '05 GT,I want to start off (at least for now) being conservative andnot wanting to void the warrantee- it takes too long to saveup enough money for a motor.. a tranny I could manage.

I'm thinking about the exhaust but it looks prettygood under there. I figure thatand the cooler would be the two best ways to go forbang for the buck. Like you said.. big decisions.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:06 AM
LT1_Hawk
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oldguy05gt

I don't want to add things that Iwill have to take off every time I go to the dealer forservice, as everything they do now is under warrantee on the contract for3 yrs/30k miles.

read this
http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/magnusonmoss.htm

basically states that unless whatever you added is the cause of the malfunction, your safe. they cannot deny your warranty unless something you added was the cause of the malfunction

"Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle (per the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))"

it goes on and on and on in legal terms
Old 11-15-2007, 07:48 AM
oldguy05gt

Thanks for the good information - definitely clarifiesmy situation.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:08 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oldguy05gt

I amwondering about myrecently purchased '05GT'sactual rwhp. Ford says they are300hpbut I figure it's flywheel hp and maybe reallymore like 260rwhp.So if I start from there and put on the basic Vortech supercharger(which is being done now at the dealers's shop)rated at 8.5-9.5psi more or less, will I getan actual rwhpboost of somewhere close to the100 hp range or what?

My lastexperience with superchargers was a9psi Vortech on a '89 Taurus SHO. Ford advertised these as220 hp. I took it to the SHOShopin Huntington Beachand puttheir Stage III everythingon top of the stock 3.0 Yamahablock.

"Before"dyno runwas true to form at 177 rwhp and 165rwtq at 6800 rpm in third gear. "After" dyno run was set at345 rwhp and287rwtq same rpm in third.This setup would run high12'sandclose to 110 at the strip.

I have an opinion ofsuperchargers being the best way to add horsepower without doing anything else. So I have high hopes for the'05 GTgetting some impressive gainwith the 8.5-9.5 Vortechinplace.

Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks .
I have the standard V2-SQ Vortech, nothing else is done to the car and it makes 510 horsepower to the crank and 438 rear wheel horsepower based on a Dynojet Dyno. I have 60lb injectors and my 2nd fuel pump is a Walboro, I have MAC mufflers as well and that's all she wrote.

My sig explains the rest.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:48 AM
oldguy05gt

Thanks for the reply/info. I don't know what size injectors and what higher flowfuel pump the dealer puts on with the standard installation, sounds like this comes with the Vortech kit. I thinkthey ought to just tell me, butI guess it's a company secret- they don't want everyone knowingthe details of their blower mods - just satisfied customers, lol.

This is my first experience with the hand-held tuner approach. It's sitting in the box, so I guess I might find out how to hook it up to my PC or anything like that you can do for more info.

But I think I will get a dyno run with a tuner shop that has a Dynojet and uses the Diablo-Predatorand check it out - there's one about 25 miles from me.