Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Advise on Pypes mid-muffler

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 04:56 PM
tristang

Default RE: Advise on Pypes mid-muffler

I installed the system last Friday. What a PITA!!! First, jacking the car took a long time. Second, the left side muffler delete pipe was bent and unfinished at one end. The end actually flared out so it was to big to fit into the tip. Rather than boxing it and sending it back for exchange, I chose to get pliers & bend the opening out, then grind the all around. The left side ended up nice, but a tad too high. No big deal. The right side went on alot faster since I knew what I was doing now. Only problem was that the tip is too low. It looks horrible. I struggled with it for an hour, loosening all clamps. I'll try again this weekend... maybe bend the hangers. If it doesn't turn out, I'll bring it to a muffler shop. Total time was about 6 hours using four 2-ton jacks anda 2-ton hyrdaulic jack. (1 hour jacking, 45 min. removal, 1 hr. delay for bending & grinding, 1.5 hourinstall, 1 hourfor adjustments to alignment, 30 min. to lower car)

Overall, I'd have to say that the workmanship of the Pypes is a "C". The mufflers look great, tips are ok, fab of pipes were crap.

Again, any advise is welcome. I'll try to post pics soon. Thanks for everyones help. Besides my install pains, the sound is amazing.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:52 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Are you talking about the passenger side tip being to low? I bent my hangers, but try loosening just the clamp at the axle back pipe and pulling down on it while tightening the clamp. I had to push up on the drivers side axle back pipe while tightening the clamp to keep it from banging on the panhard bar brace on big pumps. Also loosening the clamp at the H pipe and turning the whole thing will move the tip up some, but it will also move it inward.

I thought the clamps with the pypes system were pretty good quality, much better than some others i've used.

ORIGINAL: tristang

I installed the system last Friday. What a PITA!!! First, jacking the car took a long time. Second, the left side muffler delete pipe was bent and unfinished at one end. The end actually flared out so it was to big to fit into the tip. Rather than boxing it and sending it back for exchange, I chose to get pliers & bend the opening out, then grind the all around. The left side ended up nice, but a tad too high. No big deal. The right side went on alot faster since I knew what I was doing now. Only problem was that the tip is too low. It looks horrible. I struggled with it for an hour, loosening all clamps. I'll try again this weekend... maybe bend the hangers. If it doesn't turn out, I'll bring it to a muffler shop. Total time was about 6 hours using four 2-ton jacks anda 2-ton hyrdaulic jack. (1 hour jacking, 45 min. removal, 1 hr. delay for bending & grinding, 1.5 hourinstall, 1 hourfor adjustments to alignment, 30 min. to lower car)

Overall, I'd have to say that the workmanship of the Pypes is a "C". The mufflers look great, tips are ok, fab of pipes were crap.

Again, any advise is welcome. I'll try to post pics soon. Thanks for everyones help. Besides my install pains, the sound is amazing.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:54 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: thunderstang

I got BBK shorty headers into a Pypes X pipe with cats, and Pypes M80 mid muffler pipes. I found that the clamps Pypes sent were junk I had all kinds of exhaust leaks which I cant stand. I ended up getting the whole system welded and 3 1/2" tips from the axle back. Looks and sound way better than the cheep 4" tips they give you. Enjoy the sound of your pony.
Were they able to weld the system on the car? I'm wondering about the mufflers since they are fairly close to the gas tank.

What tips did you get?