Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Stroker Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Challenger

Default Stroker Kit

First of all,HI everybody,

I'mfrom Europe and just brand new here in this forum. I alreadyhave aBB 1970 Dodge Challenger, but I'm now looking foranother daily.

I am just about to buy a preowned 05 Mustang GT. In the meantime, these cars are quite popular here, but it's hard to find some
information about modifications.
Especially I am interested in a stroker kit, forged pistons and a new camshaft to add some additional horses. What do you guys actually recommend, what brands and so on...supercharger is no option at this time (lot's of paperwork and money to get an authorization).
Are there any problems with the Fuel Injection System after the installation of a stroker kit with the pistons and camshaft?? How to adjust...

Lot's of questions, I know ;-) Appreciate any help and ideas!!

Thx a lot guys!

Greetz
Old 01-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Stroker Kit

If you can't get an S/C, then I guess you would be stuck doing it the old fashioned way on motor. You may be able to put some nitrous on the car if you want some drag strip power. BUt if you can't do an S/C then you are left to doing a head/cam/exhaust/stroker motor. You can get to the 350 rwhp range doing this, but it will be pricey.

The issues will run into is finding someone who is an installer in Europe and someone who could tune it. Best of luck to you.

Clint
Old 01-03-2008, 08:56 PM
reeflover
2nd Gear Member

Maybe check with the guy's at livernoismotorsports.com. They sell stroker kits and probally could answer any question you might have on how to get the most out of all motor build. They built a monster 700 plus rwhp usinga stroker with cams and custom heads and a F1 supercharger. Good luck!

[IMG]local://upfiles/75574/57EB36A7CCD84D4F819A622E26A2B2D6.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Hello and welcome. What country are you in? Nice to hear the Mustang is pretty popular over there.

This is not an area I have much expertise in but hopefully I can give you some useful info. The car has a 3V, 4.6L "Modular" motor. As I understand it, due to the compactness of the block and the tight spacing between cylinders there is limited room for boring and stroking. Since we are more use to cubic inches over here: stock the motor is 281 ci. Stroking can't even get you to 300. So...there is not a whole lot to work with. This is why superchargers and turbos are so popular.

Here is a list of some companies in the states that do offer stroker kits, short blocks, long blocks, heads, etc:
- www.livernoismotorsports.com
- www.dssracing.com
- www.coasthigh.com
- www.brenspeed.com (offer a nice set of cams that use stock springs)
- www.compcams.com (all manner of cam shafts)
- www.foxlakeracing.com

Besides heads and more displacement there are loads of bolt on mods to a) increase pwr, b) reduce parasitic loss c) better transfer power you have to the ground (suspension) and d) reduce overall vehical wt (improve pwr to wt ratio). One of the best mods you can do right away is a new air intake and custom Tune. Here is a link to a post that lists many parts suppliers: https://mustangforums.com/m_4136852/...tm.htm#4136852

Can you get the Mustang magazines where you live? There are several available on the newstand here. They are a good source of info on performance parts:

www.musclemustangfastfords.com
www.mustangmonthly.com
www.mustang50magazine.com
www.mustangandfords.com

Hope this helps.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:26 AM
Challenger

Hi guys,

thanks so much, this actually helped a lot. I am living in Germany right now. You got the 05 model here from the very begining, at first kind of overpriced, but in the meantime for very reasonable prices...they are getting more and more popular.
I will check all these sites instantly. We have justa limited choice ofMustang magazines over here, but I amusually in the US like 3 times a year, so Iknow some of them already
The only problem after the installation would probably cause the adjustment of the electronic (EFI...), hope the guys over here are familiar enough with the car.

But thanks a lot again, also for the welcome!! I keep on looking and check any further posts!!
Old 01-04-2008, 03:01 PM
sleeper2
3rd Gear Member

Challenger, as you search for information,inquire about increasing the displacement to 298 inches versus 302. People have stated advantages of doing this (keeping knock sensors, etc.)

Sleeper2
Old 01-04-2008, 03:58 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Challenger, go here http://www.modularmustangracing.com/ look under products, shortblocks and get the MMR 5.0 STROKER Street Mod 950 then add the 302 FRPP block option and you will have a killer 5.3L engine. You can add their CNC ported heads to top it off.

Earl
Old 01-06-2008, 05:20 PM
Challenger

Hi guys,

Have been away the last 2 days. I will definitely compare the298 and 302 modification. I saw Summit talks about 297/300andthey offer anESP 4.6 COMP FORD STROKER ASSEMBLY for 2300$. What do you guys think about it??

@ retfr8flyr: Thanks Earl, I found all the parts...would this MMR 5.0 STROKER street Mod 950 kit fit into the stock engine block? I understand it wouldupgrade the stock 4.6 engine to 5.0L?!
Old 05-01-2008, 07:01 PM
Challenger

Hello again!!

Finally I got the car a couple of weeks ago from a friend in the States, actually much later than expected...it's a black 06 GT Convertible, excellent condition.

I'll now focus on the suspension, wheels and later the brakes, in order to be ready for some engine mods. Your inputs here and ins some other public forums really helped me to get a real overview about the options you have and what really makes sense. Especially you guys have way more experience with all the mods than the guys over here...thanks again!!

Probably, I will keep the stock aluminium block, get it honed and get some forged stroker internals (eg. the MMR 950), change injectors, LT headers,...Would you guys recommend to buy a whole new shortblock for that??I'll nowtry to get an authorization for a Whipple or Saleen S/C over here, let's see...

greetz from overseas