Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

FR Power Upgrade Package Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 06:15 PM
vaporstang
2nd Gear Member

Default FR Power Upgrade Package Questions

I just purchased an '08 GT and I amconsidering the FR Power Upgrade Package - CAI and Tuner (plus mufflers). I am planning on going through the dealer because of warranty issues -plus I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to tuning a car.

First question, does this give the increased horsepower (20hp?)throughout the speed/hp curve?

Second question, how much more is this costing me by going through the dealer instead of aftermarket - ball bark $. Should I take the risk and figure out how to do it myself?

Third question, it is my understanding that if I go from the 3.55 stock gear to the 4.10, that will have to be tuned also - is this correct?

Thanks!!
Old 04-30-2008, 09:17 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Default RE: FR Power Upgrade Package Questions

First off, don't go with ford's junk and tune. Way too conservative of a tune. Brenspeed or bama you go with. Don't throw more money down the toilet having the dealership install. Mods are simple and quick to install. Which intake do you like the look of and price? Jlt and c&l are popular choices. Look into a intake,tuner combo pack from either place with their three free tunes. 20 hp is there to be had. The tune can be most felt for auto owners in the improved shifts.

555 for the intake and tuner. You can easily install yourself.
What type of exhaust are you looking at? just some basic gta axlebacks? easy to install. Less than an hour for a first timer.
The gear switch can be changed on the optional parameters section on your tuner, along with tire size changes too. You don't switch a tune for it, your tune modifies itself through the tuner.
Don't give the dealerships any more time or money.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:32 PM
vaporstang
2nd Gear Member

Thanks...I've been looking at Brenspeed's website per your suggestion. The price the dealership is quoting w/ labor is $950 for the kit, which includes the mufflers. All things considered, this seems reasonable compared to Brenspeeds prices. I don't mind doing the installs myself, but am worried about the warranty. So the question is: Will the tune parameters from the SCT be noticebly better? (I'm assuming the quality of the CAI & mufflers will be similar - and maybe that's not a good assumption.) Thanks for your patience as this is new to me.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:40 PM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

I agree. The best bang for the buck will be a tuner package from someone like Brenspeed. The tune is better and has a bit more power. If you are concerned about warranty, you can easily change it back to in stock in 15-20 minutes. Good luck...it's a great mod!
Old 05-01-2008, 03:38 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vaporstang

Thanks...I've been looking at Brenspeed's website per your suggestion. The price the dealership is quoting w/ labor is $950 for the kit, which includes the mufflers. All things considered, this seems reasonable compared to Brenspeeds prices. I don't mind doing the installs myself, but am worried about the warranty. So the question is: Will the tune parameters from the SCT be noticebly better? (I'm assuming the quality of the CAI & mufflers will be similar - and maybe that's not a good assumption.) Thanks for your patience as this is new to me.
The 950 would be the frpp kit I assume with the ford tune. Don't waste the cash or time on that. The tune is very conservative and ford should have made our auto transmissions shift close to this factory. Shame on ford for trying to profit from shortfalls on a sports car that shouldn't be there. The tune from brenspeed or bama will be much better than ford's. Enough to feel seat of pants. Jlt or a c&l street are great intakes. I have the jlt, sct xcal2 tuner. cheapest combo and best bang for the buck. The intakes are pretty much similar, go for the one you like the look of and can handle the cost. The sct tuner is better than ford ?pro-cal, I think its called.

What kind of sound are you looking to get out of the gt?
Remember for a failed warranty coverage, the aftermarket part has to corelate with the problem, or be a cause of the damage. In which I can't see any problems warranty wise if you add axlebacks yourself. The tips do corrode rather easy anyways.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:45 PM
vaporstang
2nd Gear Member

Thanks again...you're right it is the Pro-Cal tuner. As far as the mufflers, I don't want anything real loud. I was under the impression the exhaust would help the performance with lower back-pressure, especially with the increased intake air. I'll let you know what I finally get.

I did already order the Hurst short throw shifter through the dealer, waiting on delivery (I can still cancel).My next step will be the CAI and tuner - I'll have the cash in a week or two. Finally, I'll have to decide if I really want the 4.10 gears or if I shouldstay with my 3.55.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:25 AM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Exhaust won't do anything for performance on our cars as far as axlebacks go. Some may even lose a little power. Did you pick a winner out of the intake choices?

This is just me, but on a fairly new car and you are already starting to mod, I would hold off on the 4.10s until later on down the road. Doing everything at once takes all the fun and improvement out of the gt.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:32 PM
vaporstang
2nd Gear Member

I'm looking at the 05-08 MUSTANG GT CARBON FIBER TUNABLE INDUCTION PACKAGE. I don't know if the jlt will work on the '08. I agree with waiting on the 4.10 - I'll want to "digest" the other improvements that I make.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Fullsayl
2nd Gear Member

Vapor,

Call Brenspeed, they are very helpful and knowledgeable about the products that they sell. They will be able to tell you if the package you are looking for will work with the '08. I would assume that it would, AFAIK the '08 did not make any changes to the induction system.

GL, and HTH!
~Matt
Old 05-03-2008, 10:03 PM
vaporstang
2nd Gear Member

I also think there would be no changes from the '07 to the '08...When I'm ready to order, I'll verify that it will fit.