Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Shelby cold air intake ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 04:32 PM
trophy hunter

Default Shelby cold air intake ?

The Ford racing performance parts cold air intake states that it is for the 05-07 models ONLY. .....what changed in 08 ?
......and is there one out on the market for the 08 yet ?

Reason I ask is in the class I run in I can only use the actual Ford Shelby parts .....no aftermarket.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:17 PM
EricM
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Shelby cold air intake ?

I don't know why Ford says that. It's in the '08 Shelbys, so it fits and they have a tune for it. But they seem to want people to use the new M-9603-GTB in an '08, which is the Bullitt intake. Did they not make enough Bullitts or something for that to be legal in your class?
Old 06-23-2008, 10:18 PM
trophy hunter

Thanks for the response.....

To answer your question, and no offense to anyone, but the Bullitt is not as competitive as the Shelby in the type of racing I do (autocross).The two main factors that kill the carare the springs and gearing (due to thecourses we run and the gearing each offer)
......the Bullitt is lighter, however, but not enough to offset the difference to where the 3:73's put the RPMs on most of our types of courses and the added benefit of the springs on the Shelby.

Anyone else ?

Old 06-24-2008, 05:44 AM
EricM
2nd Gear Member

I wasn't suggesting getting a Bullitt, just the intake. It should be legal in the same classes as the FRPP/Shelby intake, shouldn't it?
Old 06-24-2008, 12:55 PM
trophy hunter

The way the "letter of the rule" is written, one would be subject to protest using anything other than the actual
Shelby CIA (on the Shelby)......but you did make me curious if the Bullitt uses the exact same CIA as the Shelby in 08 ~ thanks
Old 06-24-2008, 07:26 PM
EricM
2nd Gear Member

The ones I've seen had the M-9603-GT06, which is the one that FRPP says is for '05-'07. You'd have to get an aftermarket tune to use it, if FRPP won't sell one for an '08.

To use the Bullitt intake, does this class force you to have everything identical to a Bullitt (springs, gears, etc.) like in F-Stock?
Old 06-24-2008, 09:19 PM
trophy hunter

Exactly, wasn't certain if people in here were familiar with SCCA and their rulings.
.......I would have to make the car either a complete Shelby or complete Bullitt.

I am looking at either an 07 or 08 GT/CS and converting it to a Shelby and in talking to a few "in the know", it is the car to have in F-stock over the regular GT or Bullitt. I have been autocrossing many F-bodies and a few Corvettes thru the years and I think that I'm just ready to try something new, and the Mustang appears to be at the top of the list in my budget right now.