Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Which clutch, pressure plate and flywheel for 425bhp N/A car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 03:15 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Default Which clutch, pressure plate and flywheel for 425bhp N/A car?

Hey All,

The clutch isfor a N/A motor with all the bolt-ons including Comp Camps SPR #127400 cams and all the goodies they need.I think the clutch is starting to havea pilot bearing or possibly a pressure plate problem on my 35K mile'05 GT. I hear noise with the clutch out in neutral and it is hard to select gears when stationaryand the car willsometimes make a forward move when stopped and selecting first gear. Also unless I shift slowly sometimes I get a bit of gear crash or can feel and hear what sounds likeI'm beating the synchros or the clutch is not fully releasing.

I want to replace the clutch assembly (pressure plate and disc) and while I'm at it eliminate potential TO bearing and pilot bearing issues requiring disassembly and re-installation of new parts to solve the problem. In other words I'd rather pay once for installation and usepossibly saved money toward new or improved TO bearing and pilot bearing.

Got anyexperiences with this?If so please help and tellus what you did andhow it worked out and shifted once updated.

Cheers!
Old 07-11-2008, 09:32 AM
subzero05
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Which clutch, pressure plate and flywheel for 425bhp N/A car?

I have the Mcleod unit and have been VERY pleased. Pedal pressure has been much the same as stock and it has been flawless since install. I have a vortech unit on my car and it has no trouble at all holding the power. The Super Street Pro kit has clutch, disc, pressure plate, T/O Bearing and pilot bearing all in one kit!.. Very easy. You would just need the flywheel if you want to install at the same time. Either steel or aluminum.. The kit part # is 75201
Old 07-11-2008, 09:43 AM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: subzero05

I have the Mcleod unit and have been VERY pleased. Pedal pressure has been much the same as stock and it has been flawless since install. I have a vortech unit on my car and it has no trouble at all holding the power. The Super Street Pro kit has clutch, disc, pressure plate, T/O Bearing and pilot bearing all in one kit!.. Very easy. You would just need the flywheel if you want to install at the same time. Either steel or aluminum.. The kit part # is 75201
Hi subzero05,

Lots of questions here, please bear with me.How does it engage? Does it engage with asmooth take up is it more abrupt than stock? Did your stock clutch poop out on you or was thisjust a perfromance upgrade?Are the Mcleod kit supplied T/O bearingand pilot bearingsuniquepartsfrom Mcleod orare theseO.E. Ford T/O and pilot bearings?Can the new Mcleod kit supplied T/O bearing capable of being bleed? What flywheel did you go with?

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-11-2008, 01:22 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Hey F1Fan,

Something I would consider is putting in the adjustable Ram or Mcloud unit that acts as a throwout bearing, bleeder and adjuster. I don't know a hole bunch about the unit, but there are few that have put these in and solved shifting issues and adjusted their engagement point.

PM Sactown, He just had one installed and it solved his shifting issues. Ho researched it and should know much more than I.

I don't know if this is it, but if I was doing the throw out bearing I might do it.

http://www.ramclutches.com/Products/...se_bearing.htm

The Mcloud unit

http://www.mcleodind.com/application...OB_SlipOn.html

As far as clutchs. I have no idea what you will need. I have had the stock clutch, a clutch from RPS (I liked it very much but now have too much power for it) and now a dual disc from ClutchMasters.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

I'm curious as to all the mods performed in order to get 425hp.

I believe you have shorties, x-pipe, CMVC plates, obviously CIA, cams, what else?
Old 07-15-2008, 02:23 PM
subzero05
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: F1Fan

ORIGINAL: subzero05

Hi subzero05,

Lots of questions here, please bear with me.How does it engage? Does it engage with asmooth take up is it more abrupt than stock? Did your stock clutch poop out on you or was thisjust a perfromance upgrade?Are the Mcleod kit supplied T/O bearingand pilot bearingsuniquepartsfrom Mcleod orare theseO.E. Ford T/O and pilot bearings?Can the new Mcleod kit supplied T/O bearing capable of being bleed? What flywheel did you go with?

Thanks for the help!
it has a very smooth take up and engagement. I was suprised at first because it is very similar to stock!. The Super Street pro kit comes with everything minus the flywheel.. Clutch, PP, disc, T/O Bearing (hydraulic) and pilot bearing. It is a very complete kit. I went with the Mcleod alum 6 bolt flywheel and it really woke the car up!. You will be very pleased!