Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

05 GT transmission sounds very clunky

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 11:50 PM
ThrottleJunkie

Default 05 GT transmission sounds very clunky

I've had my car for just about a month now and have put about 1,000 miles on it. I watched a lot of videos and did a lot of research prior to buying, so I knew what I was getting into. One thing that the car does that I haven't noticed with any others is that the transmission sounds very clunky unless you're on the throttle hard and powershift. Under normal shifting conditions it just doesn't sound good.

Also, when I move the shifter back and forth in neutral there's an audible squeak that comes from what sounds like the left side of the car and a vibration through the shifter as a result. Is it possible that the linkage just needs oiling?

I understand that the factory shifter isn't going to be buttery smooth, but I haven't seen or heard anything like this in any Mustang. It's like you can hear all the machinery working but it's not working quite right.

The car drives fine but it sounds kinda like a pos when you're maneuvering it around in low gears at low mph

Help!
Old 07-17-2008, 06:57 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 05 GT transmission sounds very clunky

As a point of reference: the stock two piece drive shaft is very 'clunky'. At low speeds, like around a neighborhood stopping and starting from stop signs, mine clunks really bad. Ive read many, many posts with the same info so apparently its normal.

This might be part of the problem you are hearing. I dont know about the audible sqeak, never heard that one (I have an MGW though).
Old 07-17-2008, 09:16 AM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

My '05 GT sounds exactly the same way. I was told by several different Ford service department types that it is normal. Sounds like crap..but normal.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:09 AM
kinglasher
2nd Gear Member

i got the same impression at first about the clunky trans. after a while i just learned to drive it without clunking and now only when noti'm paying attention will it sound like that. the 2 piece driveshaft is most likely responssible fot that but woth time u'll get it.

As for the shifter it sounds like a good reason to go short throw [sm=teetertooter.gif] YEESSS
Old 07-20-2008, 07:49 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

I noticed the same thing when I got my 08 Mustang. A Steeda one-piece aluminum driveshaft and tri-ax shifter solved that.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:42 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Wait another few thousand miles and see what happens with the tranny noises. The shifter is loud and does make strange clunking noises but after some more driving it does get better. I never had drive shaft noise. Some do.

Another thing you can do is after another few thousand miles, replace the stock tranny fluid with a better fluid. That help me out a little bit.

I didn't like the stock shifter and got a PRO50. Much better shifting and no clunking. However, the firm bushing transmit more noise into the passenger compartment. There's alittle give and take for everything.