Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

MSD's Blaster 2 Coil On Plug High Output Ignition Coils

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 10:38 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Thanks guys. I am going to install the MSD tomorrow and will check the old plugs (only 4 months old) and see how they look. I'll post back.

On a side note... I put 93 octane fuel in this week after running th eold tank of regular out. THE CAR RAN GREAT!!
Old 12-08-2008, 03:51 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wilkinda
I put the HT1s in about 4 months back and I am having some hesitation issues now..hence the new COPs and thought I should also change the plugs again just so I have everything new. Anyone else having issues..suspected issues with the HT1s??
One thing is to check the gap and make sure it is right, sorry I dont have the spec for N/A.

Other thing to try is the fuel filter. Have you every changed it? It is very easy and should be done every 15k miles. Mine was pretty gum'd up after that distance.

Personally I am holing out for the Weapons X COPS. When they do come out with will do back to back dyno's to see what they do.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:17 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Anyone heard ETA on those weapon-x's? 2 months, 6 month, a year???
Old 12-09-2008, 08:39 AM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Originally Posted by MustangGT0405
One thing is to check the gap and make sure it is right, sorry I dont have the spec for N/A.

Other thing to try is the fuel filter. Have you every changed it? It is very easy and should be done every 15k miles. Mine was pretty gum'd up after that distance.

Personally I am holing out for the Weapons X COPS. When they do come out with will do back to back dyno's to see what they do.

Dealer changed out the fuel filter when they did the oil change about 2 months ago
Old 01-02-2009, 06:23 PM
ILikeBond
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
Anyone heard ETA on those weapon-x's? 2 months, 6 month, a year???
Are these not them? http://www.weaponxperformance.com/ca...products_id=49
Old 01-03-2009, 11:04 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Damn, I just checked their site a few weeks ago after seeing the company owner get banned from Modular Fords for telling the site owner to "go f*** himself" lol.

I swear they weren't listed then. Strange... anyways, thanks for the heads-up.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:08 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I think lethal has been selling the weapon x's too for a while now.

I have the accels coils that i paid under 200 for. No tremendous gains, but did have a better idle and might be a smoother overall feel.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:22 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Thanks Matt... maybe the original poster will come back with a performance observation after installation.

I'm seeing more performance out of a KB boost-a-spark/stock coil (~8hp) than any aftermarket coil at this point. I'll probably need one of those in the future anyway.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:21 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

I've been playing with mine for a while... I am running the Summit Racing Coils, which are just re-branded Accell COPs... The rest of the mods are in the signature, and I tune with an HP Tuners setup, tho I did also use Sniper for a couple of the tests.

I've no dyno numbers on mine to back anything up (still trying to sort the damn suspension/steering out from an accident in June..) , so most of it will be seat of the pants impressions, with some data from an accelerometer used solely as a reference number. I wouldn't bet the farm against the numbers that it shows vs what a dyno would, but I do think it is a solid indicator of at least a positive or negative gain, as well as a reasonable means of comparison.

The top end got some help, in the form of about 6 to 8 hp and an equal gain in torque, mostly above 4900 rpm's. Low end, there was a couple of minor bumps and changes (all to the positive) but none of them were enough to really say anything more to me than at the very least they were not hurting anything down there.

There is a definate increase in driveability and smoothness, to the point that my wife even commented on it.. and this is the same woman who took 2 weeks to notice that the white vynil on my car was now black... I even went back and forth a few times to verify this. IMO, idles smoother, and runs out better. Fuel mileage is up as well. I would call it 1 mpg, but that would be slightly liberal I think.

Here is the one thing I noticed that they really accelled at; heat resistance. When I threw more dwell at the stockers, they got hot fast. Anything above like 8 mil/sec, they jumped like 25 degrees in under a minute and after like 15 minutes of driving they were on average about 35 degrees hotter than stock dwell. The Accells, at 9m/sec there was no change in temp at an idle, and after a similar drive to the other one, were only 17 degrees hotter than at stock dwell.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:38 PM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by howarmat
I think lethal has been selling the weapon x's too for a while now.

I have the accels coils that i paid under 200 for. No tremendous gains, but did have a better idle and might be a smoother overall feel.
Thats all I got from MSD COP's but I paid a lot more then that.