Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Installed Kenne Bell and now have DTC codes and a funny noise.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 10:19 PM
monster693

Default Installed Kenne Bell and now have DTC codes and a funny noise.

So I just installed a KB stage 1 kit in my 07. Install went well, took a day and half with no unforeseen problems. However, now that its done my computer is flashing 2 codes. P0114 and P0183. I have been working with KB to fix the problem but we cant seem to get them to go away. Also there is a noise that happens under hard acceleration and when I goose it in neutral. It sounds just like a blow off valve on a turbo. It is a big rush of escaping air. I pulled the SC and manifold off last night and re-seated it making sure that all the gaskets are in the right place. And it it still makes the noise. Kb has been working hard to help me fix these problems but we are running out of ideas.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:29 PM
TheB1GDude
2nd Gear Member

That sucks dude...

Google tells me those codes are:

P0114 Intake Air Temperature Circuit Intermittent
P0183 Fuel Temperature Sensor A Circuit High Input

Definitely sounds like a leak and maybe something got damaged during install....

Best of luck with solving....
Old 05-14-2009, 10:43 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Is the intercooler working? Moving coolant through the intercooler plumbing? Just taking a guess.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:55 PM
monster693

Intercooler is working fine, pumps a lot of coolant through the system. KB is telling e that it is a wiring issue. I have triple checked the wiring and have yet to find anything wrong. Kb over nighted me a new intake manifold due to a casting flaw that came with a new IAT sensor which is wired to the FRP sensor. I am debating on buying a new FRP sensor. I dont know how to tell if mine is bad, worked before I did the install. As for the sound I cant even locate a general area that it is coming from. The only thing I can think of is that it is coming from the bypass valve. Tomorrow I am going to talk to KB about removing the vaccum line so that the valve is locked in the close position.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:42 PM
mattsimonton
2nd Gear Member

check your vacuum lines. The ones on top of the intercooler and behind the blower... Put the blower in bypass and see if the noise goes away. Do you have a boost gauge. I would definitely go find one and hook it up via a vacuum line and see if you have a boost drop at wot. It sounds like a leak to me.
PM me if you need some more ideas because I have the kb as well and would like to help.
Matt
Old 06-04-2009, 12:48 AM
justin96gt
2nd Gear Member

put a mech boost gauge on .takes like 5 mins to install. it will help see is u have a vac/ boost prob on your hands
Old 06-04-2009, 09:28 AM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by monster693
Intercooler is working fine, pumps a lot of coolant through the system. KB is telling e that it is a wiring issue. I have triple checked the wiring and have yet to find anything wrong. Kb over nighted me a new intake manifold due to a casting flaw that came with a new IAT sensor which is wired to the FRP sensor. I am debating on buying a new FRP sensor. I dont know how to tell if mine is bad, worked before I did the install. As for the sound I cant even locate a general area that it is coming from. The only thing I can think of is that it is coming from the bypass valve. Tomorrow I am going to talk to KB about removing the vaccum line so that the valve is locked in the close position.
My IAT is located at the front driver side corner of the manifold (gray and gray with red wires), not wired to the FRP sensor ..

Have you checked to see that the bypass actuator is pulled all the way in at idle and moves back out when you rev?

Have you installed any gauges? I wouldn't have known I had a big problem with my KB if I hadn't put an AF gauge in, and the boost gauge confirmed that I had good vacuum and boost when other things were not working right (ie intercooler pump wouldn't prime, KB sent wrong tune, etc). I am waiting to afford the fuel pressure gauge so I can confirm that the BAP is working properly at all times..