Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Shocks/Struts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 08:18 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Shocks/Struts?

OK, so I've got 56K miles on my '06 GT 'vert and am starting to think about changing shocks & struts. Looking for some opinions. I don't race. I want something better than what came OE. I don't want to mess with adjustables..
What do you recommend?
Old 07-01-2009, 05:55 AM
mustangtestuser
2nd Gear Member

Have you done sway bars, yet?

I just got done installing a rear sway bar and will bolt the front sway bar on this afternoon. I have not done shocks/struts (maybe later?), but from what I can tell sway bars should probably one of the first suspension mods done to the car.

I'm absolutely floored by the difference just the rear sway bar made in the cars handling. I can't wait to try out the front bar this afternoon to see what kind of difference that makes. Sway bars are definitely the best bang for you buck suspension wise in my opinion.

Anyway, as far as non-adjustable shocks, I've heard great things about Koni Str.t. I think they run a little over $400 for all four.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:10 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Hey mustangtestuser,
Thanks for the feedback. I am looking at the Koni's as well as Bilstein HD's. The Bilstein's are a bit more expensive.
What kind of sway bars did you buy? Where did you get them? Did you put them on yourself? How was the install.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:01 AM
mustangtestuser
2nd Gear Member

Yes, I installed them myself. I purchased the Eibach front and rear bars (the same as the Ford Racing part) from American Muscle for $338 shipped. That's a steal. The kit came with all the parts, including Loctite and grease.

Strangely enough, didn't Eibach supply new bolts for the front, so I re-used Fords with a healthy coating of Loctite on those parts. I didn't Loctite the rears with the exception of screws used to assemble the rear links, since Eibach supplied nylon coated nuts.

The rear bar I did without even jacking the car up, because the ramps I ordered had yet to arrive. The only problem I faced was one nut on each side was very difficult to tighten, since there was so little space to work. I eventually figured it out though. A short adjustable wrench and a socket and I was in business.

The front bar was so much easier. I received my Race Ramps yesterday (best ramps out there in my opinion!!!) and had the installation done in no time. The front bar is extremely straight forward. Just don't forget to use Blue Loctite, since people have complained about even the factory bolts working loose over time.

The front bar is adjustable to three places: understeer (steet), neutral (street/track position) and oversteer (track position). If you install just the rear bar, then the car has a tendency to oversteer. It was fun, but in the end I recommend installing both the front and rear bar. The car is plenty controllable with only a new rear bar, it just wanted to rotate a bit too much for my taste on the street. At the same time, the front of the car felt a little weird, like it had less grip.

I installed the front bar in "neutral". I may go back and change it to oversteer a little, since that was a lot of fun. (Still, my Mustang is mostly driven on the street, so neutral is probably the best pick.)

Anyway, the front bars from all manufacturers are about the same diameter. The rears differ from company-to-company. Eibach, Steeda and I'm sure a few others use a 22 mm bar in the rear. Trust me, that's plenty. A little extra diameter and stiffness translates into a large difference in roll stiffness. The ride might be slightly rougher with these new bars, but it's not a big deal. They aren't harsh at all.

Interesting fact: Each Eibach bar was about 2 lbs more than the stock sway bar it replaces.

Summary: Dramatic difference in the way the car corners. Sway bars are often considered the best bang-for-your-buck suspension mod out there. I highly agree.

I'd try front and rear sway bars first, since they make the most difference. You might be happy with just those parts! Plus, you can install them yourself.

If you're still unhappy with the way the car handles, then I'd look into other suspension mods. (Oh, and wider, summer tires are also a nice gain. I have 255/45R18's with light weight wheels.)

Last edited by mustangtestuser; 07-02-2009 at 07:04 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:41 PM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Goldenpony - for the $$, it is hard to beat the Steeda non-adjustable struts/shocks ($400 total) with their sport springs (I would avoid eibach unless ride is not a factor and you don't mind bottoming out a lot--I had them 1st). - I don't track my car either but wanted crisp handling on the street. This combo with my my gt500 wheels/tires is very sticky. I also have the Steeda adj. pan hard bar, rear sway, and g-trac bar
Old 07-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Shocks/Struts

Thanks guys. I think I'll go with Bilsteins. They're a little more that the new Konis, but I've never read a bad thing about Bilsteins.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:09 PM
ziperhead
2nd Gear Member

Koni SRT.T dampers are an entry level, non-adjustable damper with a performance twist. Suitable for stock and mild lowering springs. STR.T's are not intended to offer the damping performance or flexibility of Koni Specials (where applicable) or Koni Sport dampers.