Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Tuner Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 11:22 PM
MxFlamesxS

Default Tuner Problems

Hey all, I have a pretty big problem on my hands here and was wondering if you could help me out. I purchased a SCT SF3 tuner for my 96 Cobra a while back and was working great with the custom tune they sent me. After I traded in my Cobra I bought a 2006 Mustang GT and after a couple mods was just running off the strategy tune for awhile. I finally decided to send my info to americanmuscle.com where I originally bought the tuner and they sent me a free custom tune for it. Upon loading the tune up t my car, everything went successful and I disconnected the tuner. When I went to start it the car would not fire. It would try and turn over and you could hear the starter but it would not start. I waited a few minutes and tried it again with the same result. I then tried to return to the strategy tune to at least get my car running, after uploading that it just made the problem worse. Now when you turn the key you hear nothing and a bunch of errors come up on the dash. I then proceeded to try and return it back to stock and try from there but now the tuner doesn't even recognize my vehicle. I can't read codes or tune it in any way. I hooked it back up to my laptop and tried recovering the old tune but it wouldn't work. This is my daily driver so any help would be appreciated. I tried e-mailing SCT but all they said to do was call them and I don't have the chance to because they aren't open on weekends and my work schedule doesn't allow me to till the end of this month pretty much. When I contacted them before over the phone they remote desktoped and updated all my firmware and tune revisions so I know they are up to date. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:07 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i didn't read where you might have tried disconnecting
the battery for 30 minutes or so and trying again to
start it.

if it still doesn't start after that, i might suspect that the tune
file that was originally uploaded was corrupted, or had the
wrong strategy code for your PCM.

you can call brenspeed in the morning and order a tune,
they might be able to help you with the NO START
condition also.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:30 PM
MxFlamesxS

Yeah I tried disconnecting the battery and i also disconnected the ecu plugs for like 30 mins, no help. I'm leaving for the field for three weeks in the morning so I won't be able to do anything for 3 weeks..... blahhh thanks anyway
Old 12-26-2009, 11:02 PM
TPLSTNG
1st Gear Member

Did you ever get it running again? If so, how?
Old 01-04-2010, 07:16 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

I'm thinking it might have something to do with the computer processor code? Anyhow, I'm curious about the results too. I have a tuner on it's way..
Old 01-17-2010, 06:38 AM
Lito
2nd Gear Member

Check if the wrench light stays lit after you turn your key on it should go off in a couple of seconds, if not you have an strategy mismatch another check is to turn the key on without starting the car and push the pedal and check for the throttle blade moving (you don't have to disassemble anything, you would hear it moving), if not, this would be because of an strategy mismatch too.

If that is the case, remove the tune from the car and when finished without disconnecting it go to read its default strategy (thru root menu/vehicle info/read strategy, assuming you have an older version SF3) and give them that 7 letter/number word.

Now, the tune they will provide you is basically what already the SF3 did, a value filed one. Since is free go ahead but when you get into more mods better switch to a recognized tuner for tunes.

Nothing against AM, but to everyone its own, they sale and ship good but for tunes, check the experts.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:49 AM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

Good advice Lito.

OP - Line breaks are your friend.