Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

delete plates review

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 01:19 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jahudso2
oh, i saw your sig time was a low 13 and thought you had a typo and meant to say it felt like a 12 second car. You do have a pretty low trap speed, are you pretty high in elevation?

With the saleen delete plates, did you notice if the ports were matched on the cylinder head and/or intake manifold?
nope, that was right at sea level. That time was actually with just an intake and tune lol, the 4.10s actually hurt it off the line because they are so aggressive in nature, but I got it down to a 13.3 consitent with mods in sig, but trapping only 102mph. Not sure what it is actually, though I was running the Brenspeed tune which is a little bit less aggressive in the lower RPM than the Bama race tune, though at WOT it was powerful. I think it's just the automatics nature because once it shifts into 3rd or 4th even, it just kinda "sits" and builds up speed slowly from that point (at this level of power anyways). There was a manual with only intake and exhaust 07 GT trapping 107-108 on the same day and running a 13 sec flat. I have yet to even trap anything over 103mph, honestly.

The plates line up perfectly, I couldn't believe they even put those charge plates in there in the first place, once you see them you'll be like "wtf"?! lol

I have tried it a few times, and just flashing the converter to 2k and right at that point, the car just launches perfectly and so much more aggressive. But if I try to powerbrake it, it lags big time and ends up spinning the wheels like before. At this point, a high stall converter, LCAS 285/30/17s and a lightweight driveshaft, I "should" be in the very high 12s.. but than again. I want to drag race, not "bench race" lol

Old 04-06-2010, 11:01 AM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

man after taking my stock intake manifold out for my supercharger install and looking at those plates what was Ford thinking? with those valves closed I'd say you're closing 75% of the opening into the motor when those are shut. and even when they're open you still have the rod blocking some airflow, kinda like another throttle body.

on my non-boosted dyno it looks like valves open around 2000 rpm and the torque jumps almost 50 foot pounds! I remember really noticing that on the road before and it was pretty annoying. like Ford's version of VTEC, no power till you got over that point

it'll be interesting to see if Ford's new intake manifold out performs the stock one with delete plates, I'm sure we'll find out before too long
Old 04-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

This review was a lot more glowing than mine. I was completely underwhelmed with these things.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:52 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

whose tune were you running riptide?
Old 04-06-2010, 03:01 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

brenspeed email tune.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:54 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by candymanjl
man after taking my stock intake manifold out for my supercharger install and looking at those plates what was Ford thinking? with those valves closed I'd say you're closing 75% of the opening into the motor when those are shut. and even when they're open you still have the rod blocking some airflow, kinda like another throttle body.

on my non-boosted dyno it looks like valves open around 2000 rpm and the torque jumps almost 50 foot pounds! I remember really noticing that on the road before and it was pretty annoying. like Ford's version of VTEC, no power till you got over that point

it'll be interesting to see if Ford's new intake manifold out performs the stock one with delete plates, I'm sure we'll find out before too long

Well, it does what its supposed to do and it's main purpose is to add turbulence to the intake charge and provide some low end boost assitance during "normal" driving, and will provide "minimal" (at best) blockage during WOT. For the enthusiests looking for the most punch though, it's obviously a obstruction.

It should at least be an option to have it removed from the factory at no cost.. along with 3.73s or 4.10s option.

(-:
Old 04-06-2010, 04:00 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
This review was a lot more glowing than mine. I was completely underwhelmed with these things.
It might have something to do with the shorty headers and the automatic with 4.10s, along with the Bama tune which is more aggressive in nature with the autos.

The auto LOVES these mods. Honestly, I felt more of a difference with the combination of these mods rather than if I had done the plates alone. Other than the CAI/tune, nothing else other than the delete plates made a noticable difference in feel...

the 4.10s were good, but it killed traction.

The shortys smoothed out the sound and gave me some power, nothing crazy.

The cut outs have great sound and good top end response but did nothing for driveability.

Getting ready for a pretty big up in boost in a few weeks....
Old 04-06-2010, 04:35 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

The reason I ask is maybe bama is better at tuning the delete plates than brenspeed, but we can't really make that conclusion from just two cars.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:50 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Good to hear man!
Too many mixed reveiws for me to do this mod at the moment.
Not arguing your gains at all and I hope they really do provide this kind of gain.
If in the future alot of other people praise it, it may have to go into my mod plans

One thing also you forgot to mention about the install,
it does take some time to do hehehe.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 04-06-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:21 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

I just found a set of saleen plates that i got for under 100 shipped on ebay. I'll do the install and let you guys know if I can tell a difference. I think every car reacts differently to mods though. Just adding an o/r h-pipe made a huge difference to me as far as power gains, but the jump from 3.31s to 3.73s didn't feel that drastic.

Quick Reply: delete plates review