Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

450whp or drag set up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 10:32 AM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Just a thought here. How about buy a decent used vehicle and drive that in the winter? Maybe something with fwd. There are plenty around here in the price range of a new supercharger. Just sayin.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:12 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
I saw a kit that was made to actually turn the motor on at a certain time in the morning to let the vehicle heat up because of cold weather and/or it was used for heating oil too. It was advertised for the diesel trucks (F350 type).

With 4.10s an auto and 450 rwhp, a good set of tires, the car will go mid 11's with a good DA.
Thats pretty cool, I never heard of that but have to look into it. Would be very great to have it start up every morning, afternoon and evening Just have to make sure I drive enough so the charging system gets a chance to do it's thing, and not drain the battery so much with the gadget. I like my idea with the on/off switch as well because I can just turn it on whenever I need to, if it's too cold out when I am idling at the light or something lol.

Thought about getting an older beater as well.. possibly a beat up F150.. that way I can just heat up the blower, let it run and heat it up. never tended to a vehicle before like that during the winter.. always drove my cars year round. Even my old twin turbo oil eating 93 Mazda RX-7...
Old 07-11-2010, 09:51 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
Thats pretty cool, I never heard of that but have to look into it. Would be very great to have it start up every morning, afternoon and evening Just have to make sure I drive enough so the charging system gets a chance to do it's thing, and not drain the battery so much with the gadget. I like my idea with the on/off switch as well because I can just turn it on whenever I need to, if it's too cold out when I am idling at the light or something lol.

Thought about getting an older beater as well.. possibly a beat up F150.. that way I can just heat up the blower, let it run and heat it up. never tended to a vehicle before like that during the winter.. always drove my cars year round. Even my old twin turbo oil eating 93 Mazda RX-7...
It's not like you can really enjoy spirited driving when it's colder then a well digger's **** anyway. Get a beater and a blanket for your baby.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:04 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

hmm.. I'd actually be saving a ton of money with the heating pad and air to air intercooler upgrade for the Vortech in the long run, and STILL be making damn near 500whp. It's not like it kicks in all the time so thats why I like this type of blower in the first place. I'd have to remind the techs to flip the switch for 10 minutes before every start up if I ever get it serviced during the winter. I like the air to air and centri also because of the less complex system (blower, belt, piping, intercooler) than the air-water/coolant heat exchanger/intercooler anyways ( more crap to break during frigid temps). Plus, even if other types of blowers (twin screw/Roots/TVS) do withstand the extreme cold start ups, the vortech will still have the advantage because of the extra time being able to be heated up before start up anyways, and if for any time it gets real cold out there, I can flip the switch and heat up the blower during idle or crusing

I wonder if I can hook up the heating pad to a sort of device that reads the ambinet outside temps at (-15) and heat up automatically for 15 minutes) and then shut off (??) that would save me a ton of pre-start up time. Of course, I'll still have the function of starting it on manually whenever I feel like it.

Last edited by stealth_GT; 07-12-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:17 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I still think a timer based system where it turns on at a certain time is your best option.

There has to be peeople up where you live that would know what to do.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:30 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
I still think a timer based system where it turns on at a certain time is your best option.

There has to be peeople up where you live that would know what to do.
Ditto..