Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Cost For Ported Heads?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 11:04 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
That's odd.
Im not saying you are lying or mistaken but I read it from Muscle Mustangs and also heard it from a mechanic I know who is VERY good at his job working on Mustangs.

In theory the delete plates are supposed to make your intake flow better by removing the butterflies from the CMCV system.According to Ford, it helps by giving you more torque at lower RPMs, then opening up as the flow increases. Remove them and you supposedly lose that torque.

He said it was kind of a trade and so did the mag.
I have read this numerous times in different mags and articles as well.
Here is my thought on that.

THe CMCV system restricts flow of air, but increases the velocity which inturn helps with low end torque and most importantly (what I think) fuel economy. Faster flowing air mix air and fuel better together and it seems would cause a better combustion mixture. Alot of the things Ford engineers will says is that they system will low end torque if all else stays the same. Since all of our cars get sustom tunes, better air intakes, free flowing exhaust and bigger cams, all of those thing combined with better flowing intake manifold will be better.

SO let's say you do loose torgue below 3k rpms. How much is it going to be 5 maybe 10? You don't launch our cars below 3k anyways and you have up until nearly 7k before you need to shift.

I vote yes for delete plates. They are easy. Even blacksmoke could install them!
Old 12-27-2010, 12:15 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
They are easy. Even blacksmoke could install them!
Yea, but then he would worry that he didn't torque all of the bolts exactly to spec and that his engine will blow up. LOL Just kidding!
Old 12-27-2010, 04:46 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

The cost of the heads is only worth it if you are going to go BIG with a built motor and/or forced induction. The stock 3v heads flow just fine for the power level the stock internals can handle. Sure, the top end gets marginally better, but the low end torque loss is not an even trade off. As has already been stated, if you are set on installing p&p'd heads, you are going to want a pretty aggresive cam to get the most of out them.....compounding the low end torque loss even further.

How you drive the car makes a difference too. If this is a daily driver where the rpm's are rarely north of 5000, skip the heads. If you are a weekend trackstar and want to get the most out of the car N/A, they might be a worthy purchase.

I regret spending the money on heads the way I did. Granted, I have bigger plans for my motor, but until I actually follow through on those plans, I feel like I could have put the money to better use. I have posted my before and after dyno on the forum several times. I'm not talking out of my butt when I talk about the low end torque loss.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Well, unfortunately I wont be able to get the delete plates just yet.

The travel cost, plus the dyno tune adjustments I am getting, plus the
deletes and install would end up costing me more than I can dish out right now.

So I will have to wait a little bit on the deletes and just get my
engine light and hunting RPM issue fixed with the tune for now.

Deletes will be next on my list though.
Hopefully by spring I will be able to do them and perhaps UDP's.
Have'nt made up my mind on the UDP's because of the mixed opinions I have
gotten on them.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:02 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
Here is my thought on that.

THe CMCV system restricts flow of air, but increases the velocity which inturn helps with low end torque and most importantly (what I think) fuel economy. Faster flowing air mix air and fuel better together and it seems would cause a better combustion mixture. Alot of the things Ford engineers will says is that they system will low end torque if all else stays the same. Since all of our cars get sustom tunes, better air intakes, free flowing exhaust and bigger cams, all of those thing combined with better flowing intake manifold will be better.

SO let's say you do loose torgue below 3k rpms. How much is it going to be 5 maybe 10? You don't launch our cars below 3k anyways and you have up until nearly 7k before you need to shift. Blacksmoke they are EASY to install, take about an hour.

I vote yes for delete plates. They are easy. Even blacksmoke could install them!
Blacksmoke basically what Simon is saying is more air in more HP out, which is my mantra, there is no way you can lose. As for travel time there is none. I do almost everything but tuning so I rely on email tunes for quick in and out and haven't had a bad one yet. My original guy is out of the business (cancer) . But I have an email from JDM and love it 12.7 MPH on 3.31 gears with factory MPG is fine by me.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:40 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

just do the delete plates yourself and get a canned tune for it until you can get a dyno tune...
Old 12-27-2010, 11:41 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

My problems right now demand that I get the tune fixed.

A canned tune is REALLY not what I need right now because
I need some data logging etc. done to find out what my tune problems are.

I wish I could just do both at the same time but
I can't afford both.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:50 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
My problems right now demand that I get the tune fixed.

A canned tune is REALLY not what I need right now because
I need some data logging etc. done to find out what my tune problems are.

I wish I could just do both at the same time but
I can't afford both.
There are tuners that will correspond by email to fix your tuning issue. No travel for dyno tuning and probably less cost. It just takes a detailed explanation of what is wrong, a data log for them to look at and the tune you are using.

Doing it that way you wil need an AF gauge most likely (depending). With FI, they usually get close, NA they get very close.