Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

finally fixed RPM issue with RPMs falling and then surging...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 04:56 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

Default finally fixed RPM issue with RPMs falling and then surging...

Guys, if you're like me, and own a 2006 GT, you may have noticed sometimes that when you push the clutch in while coasting or at low speed, especially on a cold start, that the RPMs drop dangerously low to like 300 (almost stalls the car), before surging back up to like 2k, then dropping back to 300, etc. This problem is very annoying, and can even make the car jumpy if you have the car in gear!

Anyways, I looked at all the TSBs and didn't think there were any that applied to me, but this past weekend I took it to Westfield Ford in Countryside IL and they finally fixed it for me! After years of people telling me there were no issues, and after waiting until my warranty was expired, they finally offered to try a TSB to replace my throttle body at a cost of $620. I figured what the hell, and went for it, and what a difference!!! No longer do my RPMs drop and almost stall, no longer do my RPMs surge, etc...

So to anyone who has this issue, I highly recommend you get the throttle body TSB done...it corrects this annoying issue!
Old 08-09-2011, 05:52 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'd bet all you needed was a good TB cleaning in lieu of replacement. But if they did it for you under warranty (typically, most dealerships will not do TSB work free if you're out of warranty), then kudos, my friend! But if you paid out-of-pocket, then I hope it WAS more than just a needed cleaning.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:48 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I agree. I bet cleaning it good would have been all it took.
MANY people have that problem and cure it by doing that.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:12 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

You bring up a very good point with the cleaning - but I can tell you I've tried that before SEVERAL times, with no luck. Again, I am 100% stock except for tires and SLP loudmouth exhaust, so no tune or anything played any part. Anyways, this TSB is what fixed it, and yes I paid out of pocket and they replaced the entire TB and did some other work as well as specified in the TSB. Point is, it's finally fixed after 5 years of dealing with this damn issue and everyone telling me it didn't exist or was no big deal.

Several times after a cold start with my foot off the gas but in gear my car had surged almost causing accidents...now it's fixed!
Old 08-11-2011, 04:47 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by imyy4u

Point is, it's finally fixed after 5 years of dealing with this damn issue

that's right, and i am happy to hear it!
Old 08-11-2011, 06:54 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Glad to hear the issue was resolved as well!