Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

header and x pipe installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 07:42 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

What part of mass are you from? I may have some tuning suggestions based on your location.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:57 AM
mgil
1st Gear Member

cape cod
Old 04-03-2013, 10:06 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Well rats.

The truth is, you should get a tuner. Its the single most important thing you'll ever do for the car, and for $300 you cant go wrong. You could also pick one up used for a bit cheaper.

Order one up from AM, specify your longtubes, and the car will not only run better but your CEL will disappear.

You'll fail emissions, but we can cross that bridge when the time comes.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:21 PM
mgil
1st Gear Member

just had the car scanned throwin codes po133 and po153 , both front sensors , even with the high flow cats i'll fail emmissions ? what can be done about failed emmissions

Last edited by mgil; 04-03-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:24 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

A tune and CAI is the best bang for the buck on these mustangs. Cheaper than the exhaust system you had installed and wakes the car up by a long shot! It will most likely fix the codes you are throwing as well.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:45 AM
mgil
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by S197GT07
Well rats.

The truth is, you should get a tuner. Its the single most important thing you'll ever do for the car, and for $300 you cant go wrong. You could also pick one up used for a bit cheaper.

Order one up from AM, specify your longtubes, and the car will not only run better but your CEL will disappear.

You'll fail emissions, but we can cross that bridge when the time comes.
even with the high flow cats ill fail emmissions? how does that get fixed?
Old 04-04-2013, 09:09 AM
20binafd
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mgil
you don't need to worry about emissions until you sell, don't you? Also I think you should disregard what I said last time about not needing a tuner, it appears with LTs your car needs to be adjusted for the change in the O2 sensor location; found this in another post

"the theory is that moving the front O2's from their OEM location to about 1.5 feet farther downstream causes the O2 to heat up later...but the PCM is still looking for the self-test at the same time. So the O2 "fails" and the PCM never goes closed loop. Makes the car A/F go pig rich and then CEL's and poor driveability."
source thread: https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...t-headers.html

So maybe invest the $380 getting this
http://www.americanmuscle.com/x3-cus...er-0510gt.html
and that will fix your code problem, make sure you aren't running rich, make more power, let your run higher octanes (making more power), let you install a cold air intake (and make even more power).

Good luck

Last edited by 20binafd; 04-04-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:57 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

There is a chance. Usualy the tune will turn the rear O2's off, which will fail you.

If you turn them on, you may get codes for cat low efficency, which will fail you.

Originally Posted by 20binafd
you don't need to worry about emissions until you sell, don't you?
Lol. Here in Taxachusetts we have to pass the OBDII inspection every year.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:18 PM
mgil
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by S197GT07
There is a chance. Usualy the tune will turn the rear O2's off, which will fail you.

If you turn them on, you may get codes for cat low efficency, which will fail you.

Lol. Here in Taxachusetts we have to pass the OBDII inspection every year.
So i may have to re install the stock tune before i get a sticker? would that solve the issue? I didnt have a problem with the cel until one time i started the car and didnt let it warm up enough, prior to that i had been letting the car warm until the idle settled and it wasnt throwing codes .

looks like in canada they arent required to get yearly inspections, which aint a bad thing for sure .
Old 04-08-2013, 08:15 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

So i may have to re install the stock tune before i get a sticker? would that solve the issue? I didnt have a problem with the cel until one time i started the car and didnt let it warm up enough, prior to that i had been letting the car warm until the idle settled and it wasnt throwing codes .

looks like in canada they arent required to get yearly inspections, which aint a bad thing for sure .
Not really. You have 2 options when you go with headers & midpipe. High flow or catless midpipe doesn't matter.

1) Use spark plug non foulers. These essentially pull the rear O2's out of the exhaust stream a bit, thus they see less flow, and think the cats are working great.

2) Get a tune that will get you to pass. Unless they've changed, I don't think any of the online tuners will do this for you.

Quick Reply: header and x pipe installed