Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

MAF swap for 3V Vortech V3?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 11:45 AM
redrocks

Default MAF swap for 3V Vortech V3?

My '10 GT had an intercooled Vortech V3 when I bought it about a year ago, including Diablo MAFia. I'm about to do a cam swap that will send me to the dyno for a re-tune. I've heard that the MAFia's can be a pain to tune, so thinking about getting rid of it. Will the '10 MAF really not support this much airflow? I've read conflicting posts on it. If not, has anyone tried using the Ford Coyote MAF on a 3V (Motorcraft part AFLS-165)? These seem to be sized about right for my needs, and are much cheaper than something like SCT BA-5000.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:39 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

If the guy can't tune for a mafia on a dyno, I doubt he can tune for the stock maf either... just sayin'
Old 01-02-2015, 10:19 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
If the guy can't tune for a mafia on a dyno, I doubt he can tune for the stock maf either... just sayin'
I agree. I've used the MAFia for several years and my tuner has had no issues tuning for it.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:10 PM
redrocks

Did you read the original post? It already has been tuned with the Mafia, and there's no mention of "can't".

When I'm paying for a tuner and dyno time, I'd rather he spend his time and my money on tuning the engine--not chasing down cal factor scaling issues and weird transients due to use of the Mafia instead of a properly sized MAF.

Hence the original questions--has anyone tried or looked into using a stock '10 3V MAF without Mafia with a Vortech V3? or a Coyote MAF?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by redrocks; 01-03-2015 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:24 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

If it's already been tuned with the MAFia (and the tune is good), then it would seem to make more sense to build on that tune, rather than scrap the working MAF for a stock MAF or one off another engine design, which would require the tuner to spend more time tuning for the new MAF.
You should really be asking this question to guy who will be tuning your car on the dyno to find out what he is most comfortable with.

Also, you never posted enough info for internet people to give even an educated guess, thing like what are your current mods, what diameter the intake pipe is at the MAF, whether the MAF is blow through or pull though, and what power level you are currently at and expect to be at.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:03 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by redrocks
Did you read the original post? It already has been tuned with the Mafia, and there's no mention of "can't".

When I'm paying for a tuner and dyno time, I'd rather he spend his time and my money on tuning the engine--not chasing down cal factor scaling issues and weird transients due to use of the Mafia instead of a properly sized MAF.

Hence the original questions--has anyone tried or looked into using a stock '10 3V MAF without Mafia with a Vortech V3? or a Coyote MAF?

Thanks in advance.
The few times tuners have been on my car, it takes just a few minutes of math and good experience for the tuner to make the tune work. They can usually tell how well it's going to work by drive tests on the dyno, not making power runs and it's a pretty quick process.

If it's already been tuned with the MAFia (and the tune is good), then it would seem to make more sense to build on that tune, rather than scrap the working MAF for a stock MAF or one off another engine design, which would require the tuner to spend more time tuning for the new MAF.
You should really be asking this question to guy who will be tuning your car on the dyno to find out what he is most comfortable with.

Also, you never posted enough info for internet people to give even an educated guess, thing like what are your current mods, what diameter the intake pipe is at the MAF, whether the MAF is blow through or pull though, and what power level you are currently at and expect to be at.
As was said above, I would suggest going the route of using what you have, parts and tune first. But first and foremost, speak with whomever is doing the tuning. Some tuners have personal preferences they like to tune with. It's always good to try and have equipment they are used to working with to help ensure a better result.