Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Charging System Light

Old 07-01-2019, 12:42 PM
ccwebb
1st Gear Member

Default Charging System Light

I started my 08 Bullitt and the 'Check charging system' light immediately came on. I was able to drive normally but the light reoccurred every couple of minutes throughout my drive. I hadn't touched anything under the hood which might cause this so I just figured that the alternator was dying and ordered one that same day. However in the two weeks since this happened the warning light has not come back on. Thinking of returning the alternator. LOL. Does anyone know of one-time instances like this and what it might mean? Could this be a sign of the alternator on it's way to failure?
Thanks in advance for any replies!
Old 07-01-2019, 01:04 PM
Dino Dino Bambino
3rd Gear Member

Your alternator is probably playing with you by pretending to be OK until one day it suddenly dies.
Keep the new alternator 'cause you may need it sooner than you think.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:17 PM
ccwebb
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino View Post
Your alternator is probably playing with you by pretending to be OK until one day it suddenly dies.
Keep the new alternator 'cause you may need it sooner than you think.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah hanging onto the the alternator is probably a good thing at this point. Nothing quite as fun as your car completely powering down while you're driving and trying to make to the side of the road before the steering wheel locks up.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:11 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Follow Dino's advice-he is wise
Old 07-07-2019, 09:04 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I purchased the App(?) FIXD which I have on my Cell. It came with a little unit that plugs into your car's system. I got two. It tells you about your car in plain English. On my Subaru it says all is well. On my '05 GT it says something about sensors on the front wheels. I guess it must be related to ABS or something. Haven't worried about it to be honest.

FYI FWIW
Old 07-09-2019, 01:20 PM
ccwebb
1st Gear Member

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I checked the battery and to a degree the alternator with a multimeter...car off, car on and car on with with lights, radio and A/C on full..the reading were all within range but I've read that this doesn't necessarily mean nothing is wrong with the alternator. I am tempted to just swap the alternator and wiring now for piece of mind.