4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

New '91 LX has a few issues, help please?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 09:37 PM
LiteHwk356

Default New '91 LX has a few issues, help please?

i recently aquired a new 91 LX, and it has a few issues, which im hoping you guys can help with at least a few of them.

1: The speedometer does'nt work. it bounces back and forth until i get above around 35-40 mph, and then stays at about 70 or so. Ive checked the cable and the speedometer gear, and they are fine, is this a common problem with this car to where someone has found a fix for it, or do i need to replace the gauge cluster? if i need to replace the gauge cluster, will it be the same out of any mustang within this year range? how can i tell if it is working correctly when i go to the junkyard to pull one, and is there a way to set the odometer to match my mileage?

2: It has a problem with gas. If i fill it above around a half a tank or so, it leaks out, and even when it isnt leaking out, i can smell a strong gas smell coming from the car. What should i check?

3: The power mirror switch was disconnected when i got the car. i tried plugging the new switch in, and it started smoking pretty badly, but it didnt blow the fuse or anything. could it have just been burning off dirt and dust from the connector, or is the mirror switch likely bad?

4: the drivers side window is broken, and i need to replace it. the guy i bought it from was supposed to install a new one for me, but he fell through on it. how do i go about installing a new window and pulling one from a car at the junkyard? its power windows.

im sure there will be more to come.

Last edited by LiteHwk356; 04-19-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:20 PM
LiteHwk356

anyone?!?
Old 04-19-2009, 07:28 PM
F1aReD
3rd Gear Member

Try www.allfordmustangs.com, this forum has become pretty dead recently.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:19 PM
dreamer1uk
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LiteHwk356
i recently aquired a new 91 LX, and it has a few issues, which im hoping you guys can help with at least a few of them.

1: The speedometer does'nt work. it bounces back and forth until i get above around 35-40 mph, and then stays at about 70 or so. Ive checked the cable and the speedometer gear, and they are fine, is this a common problem with this car to where someone has found a fix for it, or do i need to replace the gauge cluster? if i need to replace the gauge cluster, will it be the same out of any mustang within this year range? how can i tell if it is working correctly when i go to the junkyard to pull one, and is there a way to set the odometer to match my mileage?

2: It has a problem with gas. If i fill it above around a half a tank or so, it leaks out, and even when it isnt leaking out, i can smell a strong gas smell coming from the car. What should i check?

3: The power mirror switch was disconnected when i got the car. i tried plugging the new switch in, and it started smoking pretty badly, but it didnt blow the fuse or anything. could it have just been burning off dirt and dust from the connector, or is the mirror switch likely bad?

4: the drivers side window is broken, and i need to replace it. the guy i bought it from was supposed to install a new one for me, but he fell through on it. how do i go about installing a new window and pulling one from a car at the junkyard? its power windows.

im sure there will be more to come.
1) Any 85mph gauge cluster should fit from a 87+ fox body. Please correct me if im wrong someone How did that cable look that plugs into the cluster? How did the rear of the cluster look?

2) Check the gasket on the fuel tank that the filler neck slides through. Its like a $5 part. I had that issue with mine when i had my rear quarter panel fixed.

3) Make sure you have the right amp fuse in the fuse block. If it was shorting out, you have a bad short somewhere. How did the wiring look? Any terminal on the switch damaged or touching to cause arching ect?

4) You could get one from a junk yard, ebay or most part stores will carry them. There is a ton of aftermarket support for these Mustangs.

Id recomend a Haynes or Clintons manual for your car. It has the basics for you.

Hope this helps.