5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Carb issues...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 05:49 PM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

Default Carb issues...

Alright here we go. I rebuilt my Barry Grant 650 Silver Claw with a Holley kit and yesterday I put it on the car. I got the engine up to temp and checked the idle and set the floats. The fuel is just below the sigh plug hole, you have to "bump" the fender for it to splash out. I adjusted the idle mixture screws to 1 turn out and then to 1/2 turn out because it was crazy rich at idle. It's still a little rich. I don't have a Vac gauge here at the house so I can't get it perfect but the problems I'm having I figure are more important and a Vac gauge wont matter right now.

The issues are: First start of the day it starts with 2 pumps of the gas and hit the key. If I run it a little and shut it off it's a bear to start, almost like it isn't keeping fuel in the bowl or something. Also, I just stopped to get fuel and it stalled sitting there, again, hard to get started. The timing is fine, it's more like a "no fuel" than too much timing, it just cranks and cranks. No fuel leaks.

The second issue, at WOT it's breaking up. Not crazy popping and banging but like a flutter.

Some details:
Rebuilt 306 ~100 miles on it.
Canfield heads
Stealth intake, 1" open spacer
Hyd roller cam, .500 lift
MSD pro billet dizzy & digital 6, new Autolite 3924 plugs, Ford racing wires, MSD cap & rotor
Edelbrock mechanical fuel pump
6 PSI fuel pressure

Carb details:
BG 650 Silver Claw
Rebuilt using a Holley kit
Front Jets 74
Rear jets 78
Front squirter 31
Rear squirter 28
Pink secondary cam
Powervalves front & rear, 6.5

Any help would be super..thanks!
Old 04-17-2006, 05:55 PM
1990mustanggt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Carb issues...

I hate carbs for this exact reason. Could the gaskets maybe be overlaying on any of the holes in the carb? Maybe a bad pump?
Old 04-17-2006, 06:04 PM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

I checked and rechecked the metering block gaskets when I was assembling it, they all looked like they lined up. The fuel pump is pumping 6 PSI of fuel so I don't think that it's bad. Thanks for taking a stab at it.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:06 PM
1990mustanggt
4th Gear Member

Doesn't the carb have pumpers? You know Holley has a pump in the front and rear of some models. That was what I meant by the pump.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:09 PM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

Accelorator pumps? Yep, one for primary and one for secondaries. I changed them when I rebuilt the carb. It's getting fuel, I mean I can drive it. You can sit there with the engine off and pump the gas pedal and it will shoot fuel into the carb.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:18 PM
1990mustanggt
4th Gear Member

I'm at a loss unless it is loading up or flooding. Next time try to maybe push it all the way to the floor and hold it there for a few seconds to air it out, then try to crank it. If that fixes it then it's flooding.

The WOT problem sounds like trash in the system to me. Do you have an in line fuel filter?
Old 04-17-2006, 06:33 PM
tokinGLX
duke of herb

could be an issue with the fuel getting too hot.

you should try running it in neutral with the arir cleaner off. have somebody rev it up, when it gets 4000+ with it floored it might start spitting up gas.

are the fuel lines exposed to heat anywhere where they dont have to be¿ ive been battling this problem for awhile. today im going out to buy a phenolic spacer, see if that makes a difference.

is this a street car¿ if so, it seems like you are jetted way high. im running a 650 holley dp with 66 in the front and 64 rears. just had it tuned by a shop of old guys that specialize in carbd fords last week, so i know its not off.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:48 PM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

Do you have an in line fuel filter?
Yes, I think I may change it just in case.

could be an issue with the fuel getting too hot.
I don't *think* so. It's the same set up I had on it last year with no probs.

is this a street car¿
Sorta.. define street car?

if so, it seems like you are jetted way high
Barry Grant Race Demons come jetted 71 F, 79 R from the factory. I called BG about some things a while back and they said my Silver Claw is the same as a race demon.

It may be jetted wrong, I honestly don't know. But I don't think that would cause the no start condition. I'm kinda wondering if a float is messed up.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:13 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

You could be concentrating too much on the carburetor for the no start problem....if you can get it to do the no start condition, check inside the carb for excess fuel dripping into it (flooding), if it's OK, check the squirter to make sure the accel pump is working, and the squirter is not getting plugged.....if they check OK, something else might be causing the no start condition....just a thought.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:38 PM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

You could be concentrating too much on the carburetor for the no start problem
Perhaps, but I've been driving the car with a different carb on just to get some miles on the new engine and until I got my BG rebuilt. I didn't have any, any, problems with it being hard to start. Maybe a coincidence but it started after I changed the carbs.

if you can get it to do the no start condition, check inside the carb for excess fuel dripping into it (flooding),
Thats a good idea, I'll look next time it won't start. On a side note, when it's sitting there idleing there is no fuel dripping off the boosters.

check the squirter to make sure the accel pump is working, and the squirter is not getting plugged
You can pump the gas pedal and see it squirt, so they must be working. Maybe I'll pull the squirters and spray them out.

something else might be causing the no start condition....just a thought.
LOL, I'm open to suggestions...

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Carb issues...