5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

**UPDATED!!** Starting problems.........continued....

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 12:46 AM
5.0 MPG
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Starting problems.........continued....

Check your battery with your VOM but if its cranking its more than likely not your battery. Make sure your getting spark and that your fuel pump is spinning when you turn the key on. You might of fried your fp relay.

The warm terminals are normal.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:49 AM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5.0 MPG

Check your battery with your VOM but if its cranking its more than likely not your battery. Make sure your getting spark and that your fuel pump is spinning when you turn the key on. You might of fried your fp relay.

Stupid question time: How do I make sure I'm getting spark?....Unhook the coil wire on the cap? I don't remember hearing the fuel pump...I'll double check it. Is the fp relay much trouble to replace?
Old 05-28-2006, 12:52 AM
5.0 MPG
4th Gear Member

Have you removed any of the wires from the solenoid? Tell me what you did. I read your post and it sounds like you have the wires on backwards on the sloenoid. Dont crank it anymore until you fix.

ORIGINAL: Dearborn5.0

Hey dude, i'm having starter solenoid problem too. I'm getting scary battery smoke at the neg battery cable
and clicks but no cranking. Posted about it just now: "Scary Smoking Battery"

Lets see if we can help one another and solve these problems
Old 05-28-2006, 12:56 AM
Dearborn5.0
2nd Gear Member

my thoughts on your problem.

12V is somehow getting from your batt/starter solenoid to your starter

There is a big black wire that runs from the starter to the starting solenoid, so this wire is somehow getting 12v+.

I agree with 5.0 MPG that the wire from the starter to the starting solenoid should have nothing else on it at the starting solenoid. Not your alternator source wire.

Pull off your alternator 4awg wire and dont let it touch anything. Connect battery, see if it cranks.

if not (this is good) take VOM and check for 12+ on VOM between the 4awg alternator wire and batt neg

If you do get 12V (remember, car is not running) there is a problem with the way you wired your alternator. you are getting 12+ from some other circuit in the car, which is feeding 12V to the alt, feeding 12V to your 4awg alt wire, and cranking your car.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:57 AM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

the battery has 12.22 V at the terminals.... Does the battery "really" matter? I'm asking b/c this is the battery out of my 95 neon. It's got 540 cranking amps and 450 CCA.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:58 AM
5.0 MPG
4th Gear Member

You'll need someone to help you out but, unhook the cable from your coil to you dizzy on the cap and lay it close to its terminal. Like a inch away. Then have someone crank the engine while you look for spark coming from the cable to the terminal.

The relay is easy to replace.

ORIGINAL: gspfunk

ORIGINAL: 5.0 MPG

Stupid question time: How do I make sure I'm getting spark?....Unhook the coil wire on the cap? I don't remember hearing the fuel pump...I'll double check it. Is the fp relay much trouble to replace?
Old 05-28-2006, 01:01 AM
5.0 MPG
4th Gear Member

Is it cranking? Im not sure about the battery. The cranking amp seem a little high. I could be wrong.

ORIGINAL: gspfunk

the battery has 12.22 V at the terminals.... Does the battery "really" matter? I'm asking b/c this is the battery out of my 95 neon. It's got 540 cranking amps and 450 CCA.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:03 AM
5.0 MPG
4th Gear Member

Yea but the a wrong alt wire wont keep the car from starting.

Unless of course you have the 4 guage cable on the wrong side of the solenoid.

ORIGINAL: Dearborn5.0

my thoughts on your problem.

12V is somehow getting from your batt/starter solenoid to your starter

There is a big black wire that runs from the starter to the starting solenoid, so this wire is somehow getting 12v+.

I agree with 5.0 MPG that the wire from the starter to the starting solenoid should have nothing else on it at the starting solenoid. Not your alternator source wire.

Pull off your alternator 4awg wire and dont let it touch anything. Connect battery, see if it cranks.

if not (this is good) take VOM and check for 12+ on VOM between the 4awg alternator wire and batt neg

If you do get 12V (remember, car is not running) there is a problem with the way you wired your alternator. you are getting 12+ from some other circuit in the car, which is feeding 12V to the alt, feeding 12V to your 4awg alt wire, and cranking your car.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:13 AM
Dearborn5.0
2nd Gear Member

Old 05-28-2006, 01:31 AM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

You guys are really helping me a lot!! Okay, the starter cable is the only thing on one side of the starter solenoid and everything else is over on the other side. The battery voltage is 12.2-12.3, so it should be good, but the car doesn't seem to have enough power to get it cranking... I'm going to go check for spark right now....

Quick Reply: **UPDATED!!** Starting problems.........continued....