5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

KOER test

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 07:01 PM
white93 GT
2nd Gear Member

Default KOER test

i got bored and decided to run some tests on my car.

with the KOER test i got three codes
94 Thermactor Air Injection system inoperative (Left side)
44 Thermactor Air Injection system inoperative (Right side)
34 PFE or EVP circuit above the closed limit of 0.67 volts.

with the KOEO test i got two memory codes
58 VAT indicated -40°F / circuit open.
34 PFE or EVP circuit above the closed limit of 0.67 volts.

im not quite sure what all of this means so could anyone help me out?
Old 07-06-2006, 07:58 PM
TENGRAM
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: KOER test

do you have the smog pump and hoses,etc hooked up?
34 can be caused by a number of things. first i would remove the EGR valve and clean it with carb cleaner, it might not be closing all of the way. if that doesn't help the EGR Valve Position Sensor may be at fault. you could replace it or do Further Testing to confirm that it is the problem.

58 i believe this one might relate to the Mass Air Flow Sensor rather than the VAT (previous system). after solving the other problem i suggest resetting codes (disconnect battery for ~10min.), to see if you got this code right and if it will comeback. good luck, let us know
Old 07-06-2006, 08:19 PM
white93 GT
2nd Gear Member

i have all the smog pump and stuff hooked up and running.

i do have the vacume line to the air canister disconnected due to my car idle. it will idle way better if it is disconnnected and pluged

i recently took the egr off and cleaned it.

do they codes have any really significance in the way my car runs ect? performance?

im pretty smart in the way of cars but the whole computer thing plays tricks with my mind.[:@]
Old 07-06-2006, 08:46 PM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

clean out your EGR first. the evp sensor may need replaced. then hook that vac line back up and see if it idles right.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:49 PM
TENGRAM
2nd Gear Member

regarding the 44 and 94, it could simply be slightly clogged o2 sensors, unable to read the slight change in a/f that the smog system causes. the cause of my 94 was a clogged crossover tube. i unclogged it, the code went away but it had no effect on performance.
the ECM "deletes" the EGR system when a KOEO or KOER code pertaining to it appears. so that should be ok...though the EGR does help prevent detonation. i would be worried about the 58. VAT or MAF, it is critical for performance. recheck this one and let us know...reason to recheck is i've never heard of a 58 appearing on an 86 or newer mustang.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:57 PM
white93 GT
2nd Gear Member

the o2's were changed recently with brand new bosch. as for the clogged crossover tube, that maybe a possibility because when i did my rebuild i did not look at it closely.

i will run the test again tomarrow after i get a few miles on the reset computer.

what exactly does code 58 say that is malfuntioning? im just a little confused on to why that code would appear.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:05 PM
TENGRAM
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: white93 GT

the o2's were changed recently with brand new bosch. as for the clogged crossover tube, that maybe a possibility because when i did my rebuild i did not look at it closely.

i will run the test again tomarrow after i get a few miles on the reset computer.

what exactly does code 58 say that is malfuntioning? im just a little confused on to why that code would appear.
58 refers to the Vane Airflow Temp(?) Sensor that was used on other vehicles. the MAF Sensor replaces it on our cars...so maybe its that, but to be sure recheck the codes. if the car was not warmed up it could also cause the 94,44. when you clean out the crossover pipe also check the ports in the head that it utilizes. i had to clean mine with my fingers and a bent coat hanger[:'(].
Old 07-06-2006, 09:09 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Code 58 shouldn't be there.....code 58 is used on VAT equipped systems (1.9L) or CFI setups (2.3L, 2.5L) that use an idle tracking circuit/switch...not in SEFI Stangs...... I would rerun KOER and verify it.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:52 PM
white93 GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TENGRAM

ORIGINAL: white93 GT

58 refers to the Vane Airflow Temp(?) Sensor that was used on other vehicles. the MAF Sensor replaces it on our cars...so maybe its that, but to be sure recheck the codes. if the car was not warmed up it could also cause the 94,44. when you clean out the crossover pipe also check the ports in the head that it utilizes. i had to clean mine with my fingers and a bent coat hanger[:'(].
i have a 180 t stat along with a very large all aluminum radiatior and a flex fan. i ran the car for a while then brought it back home and ran the test. so it might not have been at 195 or above since my car car usually runs pretty cool.

i will re run all tests and see what i get. ill post the results.

also with the crossover pipe, the heads have less then 2k miles on them so im pretty sure there not cloged yet.