5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

how much tranny and rear end fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 03:35 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

Default RE: how much tranny and rear end fluid?

marketing dept. got you!

You can use any synthetic rear end fluid as long as the friction modifier is used as well, or included.

How is rear diff. fluid going to add HP?
Old 07-25-2006, 04:52 PM
chath_brick
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 7upedition

marketing dept. got you!

You can use any synthetic rear end fluid as long as the friction modifier is used as well, or included.

How is rear diff. fluid going to add HP?
it probably lets the rear end spin with less friction, causing less drag, resulting in less wasted power. that would be my guess at least.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:12 PM
chath_brick
3rd Gear Member

what is friction modifier? is it something i need to add do my rear end fluid?
Old 07-25-2006, 05:39 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

In a limited slip rear differential it is required that a friction modifer be used to reduce the friction of moving gear parts, trak lok is Fords version of a Posi rear end. Internally, a differential is connected to the axle by way of a series of splines. In essence, the axles are connected via the splines to the axle gears or "side gears" inside the differential case. The side gears are engaged by the pinion gears or "spider gears," which are mounted on a common shaft assembly. Moving in a straight line, the pinion gears are stationary; there is no turning action on the pinion shaft. The side gears are driven equally, but when the vehicle turns, the pinion gears turn on the shaft. One half or side of the carrier then speeds up while the other slows down. The result is a smooth turn without one tire spinning. The purpose of the trak lok unit is to maintain additional force so that the pinion gears remain stationary unless absolutely necessary. When engine torque and power are supplied in a straight line, the clutches lock and drive both sides of the carrier equally, but when the vehicle is turning, the clutches become "unlocked," allowing for the previously described smooth turn.

It may gain you a hp or two but not significantly... if it works though use it i guess, right?

Check on the rear diff fluid you buy it will say if it has the rear diff additive in it already, if not then yes you need to buy it and put it in or else you'll burn the trak lok clutches out.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:43 PM
chath_brick
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 7upedition

In a limited slip rear differential it is required that a friction modifer be used to reduce the friction of moving gear parts, trak lok is Fords version of a Posi rear end. Internally, a differential is connected to the axle by way of a series of splines. In essence, the axles are connected via the splines to the axle gears or "side gears" inside the differential case. The side gears are engaged by the pinion gears or "spider gears," which are mounted on a common shaft assembly. Moving in a straight line, the pinion gears are stationary; there is no turning action on the pinion shaft. The side gears are driven equally, but when the vehicle turns, the pinion gears turn on the shaft. One half or side of the carrier then speeds up while the other slows down. The result is a smooth turn without one tire spinning. The purpose of the trak lok unit is to maintain additional force so that the pinion gears remain stationary unless absolutely necessary. When engine torque and power are supplied in a straight line, the clutches lock and drive both sides of the carrier equally, but when the vehicle is turning, the clutches become "unlocked," allowing for the previously described smooth turn.

It may gain you a hp or two but not significantly... if it works though use it i guess, right?

Check on the rear diff fluid you buy it will say if it has the rear diff additive in it already, if not then yes you need to buy it and put it in or else you'll burn the trak lok clutches out.
cool, thanks for the info. i checked on royal purple's web site, and they said that the additive is already in there, so you dont need it.

so in the T5, do i use automatic tranny fluid? people have told me to use it because it has less viscousity.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:45 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

not sure i have an AOD and i use auto tranny fluid, try to do a search or create a new poll and ask people what they use in thier t5's, i'd use the manufacturers recomended fluid though... i'll see if i can find out for you... k
Old 07-25-2006, 05:48 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

Check this link out they also recommend using ATF in the T5:

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...uild/index.php
Old 07-25-2006, 05:58 PM
chath_brick
3rd Gear Member

cool, thanks man!
Old 07-25-2006, 06:16 PM
chath_brick
3rd Gear Member

sh*t, it kicked me out when i tried to access the third page, it said i didnt have an account. they said to use auto tranny fluid? did they say how much of it and what viscosity they used?
Old 07-25-2006, 06:18 PM
greenstreak9205
4th Gear Member

i use AMS OIL and it works great IMO