5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Shifter Installation Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 12:14 AM
acspony

Default Shifter Installation Help

Hello all,
I am a new member here, not to mustangs though, I've currently got an '89 and I'm prepping for an MGW install. After reading some threads on various sites I decided to remove the console. I don't have a ratcheting box end or combo to get to the bolts under the radio. So far the console removal is going well, except for the screws in the glove box. I've already taken the glove box out and one of the screws next to the fuel door/hatch release. I can't get the second screw out and I can tell if I keep turning the screwdriver, it's going to strip. Same problem on the driver's side, the 2 screws that secure the console don't want to budge and I don't want to strip them. I have tried using a ratchet witha 1/4" socket and bit to try and loosen them but that didn't work either. Does anyone have recommendations on removing the screw or is there a way to work around it? I have to believe the shifter install will be a breeze after this PITA....

Thanks in advance for the help.

~A.C.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:23 AM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Shifter Installation Help

usually what Ill do is either grab the bolt or the peice and try to push the screw out while turning. That usually works. When you get them out you shoudl see if you can replace the clips with some new ones. I cant remember whether they are the stamped slips or the square push in clips. Ive seen too many clips under the dash lately (took dash out to paint it (shew at all the bolts in the bottom of that thing.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:32 AM
acspony

Thanks for the reply, I'll try that tomorrow, I've had enough of this tonight lol. I also though about using a drill and really leaning into the screw. I just found it weird that the first one came out really easily and these three don't want to move.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:34 AM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

do you have to pop the center console off? you cant just pop the square thing off and install it like that?
Old 07-29-2006, 12:45 AM
acspony

I removed the square bezel around the shifter but the two front bolts are under the radio and really hard to get to. Right now though it looks like using a small wrench might be the only option. I tried a drill on the screws and they didn't move. Boss_Hotrod, I tried your method as well to no avail.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:46 AM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

You can but there is two bolts near the top of the metal plate around the shifter that are a pain to reach. You can only reach them with a combo wrench.