5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 05:59 PM
LOUDexhaust
3rd Gear Member

Default ball joints

I just had a trusted ford tech tell me my ball joints need to be replaced. I'm going to attempt this myself, can someone tell me exactly how to do this? My friend will be helping me and has plenty of tools and stuff. thanks.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:02 PM
Steeda1716
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: ball joints

ball joints...bwhahahaha
Old 08-30-2006, 06:05 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Youre supposed to replace the whole lower control arm, not just the ball joint, thats the proper repair. You should get the ford racing ones, they have better bushings in em and have a little bit different angle to help your car corner better.
In order to replace the LCA's, youll need to remove teh spring so youll also need a spring compressor.
-P.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:10 PM
Hawk
3rd Gear Member

I completely disagree with P Zero, but everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. Here is a post I did a while back with some detailed instructions...

https://mustangforums.com/m_1671318/tm.htm

Good luck.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:29 PM
LOUDexhaust
3rd Gear Member

Are these just fine?

I'm just looking to get rid of some vibration and steering issues. Plus i have no job, $32 sounds good! though ill replace both.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:49 PM
LOUDexhaust
3rd Gear Member

Also, what kind of grease should i use, and what should i torque it to?
Old 08-30-2006, 07:14 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Beating on it with a hammer is not the way to install a ball joint unless your an oaky. They are pressed into place. I recommend replacing the whole control arm. That is what I did, I put FRPP lowers. If you do install it the way hawk suggested it will take half the time.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:22 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

You don't torque a ball joint into place, you press it in. If you do try to hammer it in you run the risk of deforming the top and the spindal nut will not thread. Best thing for you to do is get yourself a Haynes manual or a Ford repair manual so you will be able to go step by step through the job. Also when you take the rotor's off I highly recommend that you replace the bearings.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:50 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LOUDexhaust

I'm just looking to get rid of some vibration and steering issues.
Ok couple of things, if youre getting a vibe I guarantee 100% its NOT the balljoint. Foxbody balljoints are a littel different than other cars. THey dont get loose. They have a wear indicator on the bottom of them. The bottom is supposed to be flat or ever so slightly dome shaped. When its a big dome, the the ball joint needs to be replaced. Also, LONG before the balljoint gets to that state itll actually squeak when turning your steering wheel left to right. If that "trusted" ford tech said they were loose, I guarantee that theyre not, you just need to repack and retighten your wheel bearings.
But if thats not the case ( I dont think it is), it most likly is your tie-rods, and tie-rod ends. When tierods go bad, they WILL cause a vibe. It wont shake all the time (unless theyre really bad and about to snap), itll usually shake the worst on long drawn out mild corners on the E-way, and usually not shake or shake less when going straight. Id say check your tierods.
-P.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:24 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: P Zero

ORIGINAL: LOUDexhaust

I'm just looking to get rid of some vibration and steering issues.
Ok couple of things, if youre getting a vibe I guarantee 100% its NOT the balljoint. Foxbody balljoints are a littel different than other cars. THey dont get loose. They have a wear indicator on the bottom of them. The bottom is supposed to be flat or ever so slightly dome shaped. When its a big dome, the the ball joint needs to be replaced. Also, LONG before the balljoint gets to that state itll actually squeak when turning your steering wheel left to right. If that "trusted" ford tech said they were loose, I guarantee that theyre not, you just need to repack and retighten your wheel bearings.
But if thats not the case ( I dont think it is), it most likly is your tie-rods, and tie-rod ends. When tierods go bad, they WILL cause a vibe. It wont shake all the time (unless theyre really bad and about to snap), itll usually shake the worst on long drawn out mild corners on the E-way, and usually not shake or shake less when going straight. Id say check your tierods.
-P.
all very good advice, doing your ball joints is a big job and finding out it wasn't your ball joints after all would be the sh*ts.

Quick Reply: ball joints