5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Dry Nitrous Kits / Shots

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 05:37 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: Dry Nitrous Kits / Shots

Ok, there is definitly a bunch of bull**** being passed around in this thread.

For Starters...
1.) Your computer can not make realistic changes when it comes to running a dry nitrous kit. Yo0u have to have the ECU tuned for it, to dump a ****-ton of extra fuel when you get on it.
2.) Last time I looked at MY ZEX kit, it had NOTHING to do with retading the timing by itself. There are 3 wires. TPS signal, Power, and Ground.

3.) With a ZEX wet kit, you dont have to tune ****... you match up the right size jets and go from there.

4.) Nitrous can be a very effective way to turn your motor into a 302CID grenade. DO NOT RUN NITROUS IF YOUR CAR RUNS LEAN N/A

5.) When it comes to running Nitrous, Its is best to have your car running approximately 12.5:1 AFR, this will keep you on the rich side and leave some room for tweaking. Not to mention if the kit accidentally runs itself lean, you have a small buffer zone.

6.) Dry Nitrous = BAD IDEA.

7.) Wet Nitrous can be installed in a 5.0 (my install was in an SN-95) in about 3 hours. All this crap about it being more difficult to setup is an idiots way of trying to justify not buying it. My kit came with a 2'long fuel feed line which attaches DIRECTLY to the fuel rail, and has an optional ****** fitting to splice into your main fuel feed line from the tank. Run your main supply line to the control box(or solenoid) then run the injection hose from the control box (or solenoid) to the fogger nozzle. It takes about another 15 minutes to install a wet kit vs a dry kit.

8.) ALWAYS UPGRADE YOUR FUEL PUMP. There are no And's, If's, or But's about this!

9.) Dyno tuners can help you setup a Nitrous based chip setting, Instead of retarding timing right at the distributor, they can actually go in and pull timing from your total timing, this way (with a selectable 4 position chip) you can still run your advaced timing for off nitrous use (15° in my case).

10.) im sure there are other points I can make, but its 3:37 am and i just got back from racing... im still alittle hyped up from whooping up on a RX7 TurboII (and i was OFF the bottle)
Old 10-09-2006, 05:08 PM
Wick001
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Dry Nitrous Kits / Shots

I'm sitting here ready to push the buy botton on one of these ZEX kits, the Dry or Wet. Which one requires me to do nothing except install the kit and have fun. ( no timing issues, no fuel pump upgrade, nothing)